summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Thursday, September 10, 2026

oh my dear dear sister, I miss you so on your birthday!

 The sunny September 10th, for so many years a good reason to get together and go out for lunch...it's always nice out on September 10th, too.  This year is no different, except for it's ALL different, she's up there in heaven while we work at living without her.  

We are getting together tonight, some of her girls and Evelyn and I, (and baby Bridget!).  We're going to dinner, and we will be remembering her.  I'm sure there will be laughing and crying.  

Right now I'm cooling off in my comfy chair, I was out on the deck for a bit in the sunshine, and it's warm out there.  I had been cleaning and sorting...this time in the foyer, do we still need all these hats and mittens?  I know I'm not doing myself any favors, but I did save some of them, who knows if grandkids will be here and want to play outside and need them?  

Today, there are three bags to donate.  We'll leave early and drop them off before Cam's class, because after I have to drop her home then drive to the northern city on Lake America for our dinner reservation.  

I have more ideas and more things to do than I have time or energy.  I'm thinking, before we move and downsize, I really want to refinish our dining room tables and benches.  We bought them unfinished, and put clear coat on them.  They really need a fresh look, they are orangey oaky looking.  Because I am lazy and want results without TOO much sweat equity, I'm considering a two toned look.  I want to sand off the tops, then use a warm walnut stain, then wipe on water based poly coat...the bases, I'm thinking to scuff them up with the sander, use Zinnser 1-2-3 primer, then paint with cabinet paint, a warm off white.  The chairs need some love too, I bought them for five bucks apiece several years ago from the thrift store...

What a fun project though!  I am excited about it.  I don't know when I'll do it, but I will say this:  I know there are things coming that are going to be extremely challenging...with the tiny newborn baby girl, Nicole is her name.  God already knows exactly the outcome, I do not.  So I think I'm distracting myself a little bit.  

I am super thankful that I'll be able to spend this weekend with Abigail though!  I wish I could put some pictures!  

I have to get going out the door now to ride with Miss Camille as she drives herself to class...so you all have a really nice afternoon!


7 comments:

Terri D said...

Birthdays and holidays are always hard when missing our loved ones. I know your heart is full of love and wonderful memories, which are priceless. Hugs!

Mari said...

Isn't it interesting how laughter and tears go together? In the hardest of times, there can be laughter. It's exactly what your sister would want - mourn her and remember the good times!

Far Side of Fifty said...

Such a sweet way to remember your sister, with laughter and tears. You all support each other and that is important!

Anonymous said...

Praying for Nicole and all of you πŸ’•
Valerie

Anonymous said...

My heart is with you and Abigail and her husband and baby Nicole. I’m so glad you’ll be able to be with her this weekend

Anonymous said...

Dear Della……..I hope you had a lovely visit with your nieces and Evelyn and baby Bridget. Lots of reminiscing I’m sure. Hugs πŸ€—

Have a safe drive to see Abigail..are you going by yourself? Have a wonderful visit with your girl πŸ₯° She’ll be so excited you are coming.

Enjoy your weekend! πŸ’•πŸ’•

Marilyn from Canada ………..it was 50 F this morning πŸ₯ΆπŸ₯Ά

Linda said...

A very Happy Heavenly Birthday to your sister, sending you much love and hugs, Della.