summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Monday, July 6, 2009

I deserve a prize!

I got up this morning, and decided to take the 5 little ones out to our church to watch a satelite transmission of the summer conference from Norway. All by my lonesome self. Now, in years past, I always took the kids out and about, by myself. Although I did usually go and pick up my dear mother...but anyway, having older kids spoils a mom. This morning, I had to brush all the hair (well, Jonathan and Camille were easy), buckle the shoes, wash the faces, get the cereal poured, cleaned up.....AND I packed lunch, for us and for the 4 girls who are out there at the church....AND I packed up towels and suits for the pool. And got out the door by 10:30. So I deserve a prize. Wait, no, I don't. I was not patient enough. I yelled when I realized they were on the computer while I was shuffling all the decks. Then they were running wild with Rosie, and I yelled again. I DO NOT WANT to be like this. No. I want to be good and patient. When I get busy and frustrated and upset, I really need to slow down and think. 'Cause I want to take things right. Okay, so Charlotte Claire has to wear her favorite flip-flops instead of her nice new sandals because the nice new sandals are wherever nice new sandals go in our house. So what? So what if her favorite flip-flops are two sizes too big? So, I got them out the door, with all the stuff and food and diaper bag and buckled them in and got on the road....it wasn't until I got back here at 3:30 this afternoon that I realized that I had never had my coffee this morning.

It is clouding back up now, these guys are tired out and watching Public Television. Camille Anaya does not watch television however. She colors herself with marker and gets into daddy's stuff. She gets out boxes of spaghetti, and hands the sticks out to her siblings. She gets out lots of books and doesn't read them. She takes her diaper off. She tries to go outside. She brings chairs to the kitchen sink. And she climbs up and cuddles with me, which I like, because it is sweet and I know exactly where she is.....

Answer to Shel's question, "what is a coney?" It is a spicy white hot dog. More often called a "Snappy", or even a "White Hot", they are a New York favorite. There is a local company, Hoffmans, that makes the BEST hot dogs and coneys. Coneys are made from beef and veal and are spicy, and crisp and good....They are pretty popular around here in the summertime. Along with salt potatoes (small potatoes boiled with lots of salt), and baked beans. hmm. I am getting hungry. It is almost 5:30, what on earth shall we have for dinner? See, I deserve a prize.....

6 comments:

AUTISMOMMA said...

You DO deserve a prize!!!

Making it through all that WITHOUT coffee. Yes, you do indeed deserve a prize.

Anonymous said...

Loved reading that post! It makes me feel just a tad better to know that even you yell when you get frustrated and rushed. I keep telling myself I will do better next time..
Any mum out with little kids deserves a prize, just to get past the door with all but the kitchen sink ;)

Martha said...

I have never heard white hots called a "coney" or a "snappy". Are you sure we live in the same state? And, by the way, I think Zweigles are the best. ;)

Martha said...

I have done my research. White hots from Rochester and Syracuse tend to differ somewhat and are called by different names. Go figure. We live about an hour apart and call our hotdogs by different names.

Cinnamon said...

Older children do spoil you - you are so right. I had to laugh while reading your post. We had our 9th child a year ago and he's been the easiet to care for because I have so many helpers. When we went on vacation recently I held him more than I had since he was born and I was feeling like a new mama again, doing it all.

Thanks for the laugh~ Cinnamon

little things said...

sounds like our place..thanks for the laugh...