summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Thursday, July 9, 2009

I'm in love with the weather....

Oh man, perfect! This is life. Sunny, breezy, seventies, not humid at all....I took the kids swimming today....then home for nap time...(hey, once in a while that practicality rears it's ugly head)....Camille and Charlotte Claire both went to sleep...so I got to relax...of course, I SHOULD have been doing many other things, as a matter of fact, if I had known that Abigail was going to bring two girls home for dinner without telling me, believe me, I would have been working my you-know-what off....anyway....I talked to my sister for a while on the phone, sitting out on the deck in the sun with my feet up, while the kids watched, "The Shaggy D.A.".....then I went down into the yard and sat in the grass in the shade with Benjamin, talked and played with Rosie. (whoever says dogs cannot love people obviously has not met Rosie. She loves us. period.) Anyway, I had not the foggiest what to make for dinner, as usual....then I remembered the kids wanted waffles and vanilla ice cream because we had some fresh strawberries and blueberries. I thought we could use some protein, so I microwaved some chicken nuggets (I was surprised that 5 of them had 13 grams of protein (but 13 grams of fat, too))....so when Abigail walked in with two friends, well, they had waffles with us. Waffles and chicken nuggets.



Today is my last day of being 43. I cannot believe it. I am going to be the dreaded 44....and the reason it is dreaded seems so silly and ridiculous, because it is. When I was a little girl, my mother babysat for a new girl in the neighborhood. She was an only child, and her family had just moved here from Hungary. Her name was Alice. She had a heavy accent, which we found fascinating. One day, she told us how old her parents were...I don't remember how old her dad was, but her mom was "farty-far".....oh, how we laughed. Not at her. No, later we laughed. We thought that was the funniest thing in the world. And tomorrow, I will be "farty-far".....



Paul has not said anything about my birthday coming up. I don't want to remind him, but maybe I should. I can just picture him saying, "Shoot, I totally forgot!".....one year, Gramma forgot Joseph's birthday, and felt so guilty she got him a nice tent AND birthday money. The kids said for years after that, "I hope Gramma forgets MY birthday this year..." I seriously don't want him to get me anything, but if he wants to take us all out for pizza or something, that would be nice....what would be really nice would be if he told me he booked two rooms in a really nice resort for the weekend...one for Abigail and the 8 younger ones here, and the other for he and I....but, it ain't gonna happen.

What I would really like for my birthday is someone to call me and tell me there is a newborn baby that needs a home....aren't I awful? When I read of that happening to people, I always think, "NO FAIR!", which is pretty selfish of me....I have been blessed so much. My baby is eating a cup of crushed ice. They are settling down to watch yet another movie, after a nice after-dinner dip in the hot tub...but hey, it is summer, and I DID go to Blockbuster yesterday....

5 comments:

Robin said...

Happy Birthday!!! Hope you have a wonderful day!!

cheryl said...

Happy Birthday, if I don't talk to you tomorrow for some reason..hahahahahahaha.. Farty-far seems far to old for you.. that means I'll be Blankety blank soon.. Was it really farty-far years ago that we spent the night in the sewage treatment plant waiting for you to be born?? What fun, and how excited we were!! I'm glad our mother kept having more babies than was "reasonable", too!! By the way, Paul did not call me and ask what you wanted this year, or what I thought you'd like, so, I guess your guess is as good as anyone's.. I finished the Shopaholic and Baby.. only 5 prams!! I really liked the ending, though, I won't say here, but it was very sweet.

cheryl said...

PS: to clarify, Della was NOT born in the sewage treatment plant.. Our father was working the night shift, and had to take us to work (12am to 8).. which was an adventure in itself..

Cassandra said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY Della!!!!!!!!
I wish i could come and give you a big birthday hug (and a nice pressie too of course ;-)well i could send you pressie from the good old land of OZ, want to email me your address? ) I hope Paul doesnt forget, Joe forgot mine last year, but he did make up for it which was extra nice, anyway i hope someone reminds him or that he is planning to surprise you with something extra nice ...

Too funny about cheryls comment, I am so glad she clarified it for us LOL

Cassandra xx

T.L. said...

ohhhhhhh I didn't understand the farty-far joke at once! :) funny indeed :D
The resort would be nice, do you think Paul reads your blog? Or maybe a kid to tell him...
I hope you receive many phone calls from Norway! :) Would it be the furthest someone called you from on your birthday?

My sister is pregnant! YAY... Part of me is a tad jealous, but so happy!! I know God's timing is the best, but I'm asking Him "what time is it?" about 10 times a day!! ahaha
My nephew is adorable he keeps asking " where is mommy's baby? Baby iis in mommy's tummy!!!" He is a baby himself.. so cute...
Hopefully you may have grandchildren before Camille's at school... :)

(this is me TL)