summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Wednesday, July 8, 2009

not enough hours in the day for them....

They don't get bored. They have big plans, and I am apparently a big plan wrecker. I want them to go to bed, since they have been staying up so late every night. And tomorrow I have big plans.

Today was an out and about day. Abigail and I, and the seven youngest. We went to Walmart for sunscreen and dog treats, and also ended up with a few pool floaties, and some school shirts for the girls for $3 each.

Then we went to the bank. Then to the Salvation Army store. What fun we had in there. There was 50% off the green, white, and blue tickets....they got new purses, new high heels (for dress-up), some nice new books......Abigail even got some cool orange heels....and Charlotte Claire got a beautiful Gap dress....all for $28....then we went to the Chinese buffet....we met Benjamin and his girlfriend, Grace, there. Chicken and pudding and hot tea....then we went to the grocery store....it was right smack in the middle of nap time by then, and it was showing....woe to Charlotte Claire's hair if she got too close to Miss Camille sitting in the cart...they weren't beggy or anything, but the two little girls were just tired...then Jon started crying because he wanted to show me something, and I told him , distractedly, "Next time"...and he told me I always say that. hmm. So, since I am not a smart mom who knows when to say , "Uncle", I went to the gas station and Blockbuster. We rented 6 movies for $3.21.....then it was 5:00, time to head home....home to groceries to put away....Camille had peed through (even though we changed a poopy diaper in the van at the restaurant)(one of my favorite things to do!), the puppy was beside herself with craziness to see us all, and I had to make dinner. I was not very hungry, even though I only had one plate of food for lunch...wait, does it count if the second plate was skimpy? Just a few hot french fries, a fried sugar donut, a few pieces of sweet n'sour chicken? And just a little dessert with my hot tea......anyway, I had to make dinner. I put ten burgers on the grill, cut up the watermelon, and we had dinner on the deck. Boy, that sounds like it was way easier than it really was.

Dinner cleanup, then I read some stories, got Camille to bed, then Charlotte Claire...then, out to the hot tub with Kathryn, Evelyn, Suzanne, Sonja, and Jon. Kathryn had turned it up to 100, so it felt wonderful. Even though I got splashed in the face at least three times. But it has been such a blessing to have - the fellowship we have in there is amazing. I have nothing else to distract me, so we talk about what we're thankful for, and we make plans, and we fool around....that sounds terrible, "I have nothing else to distract me, so..." but it is the truth. I am easily distracted....sometimes I have the water running in the sink, loading up the dishwasher, and I find myself with the broom in my hand...oops. And talking to the kids can be choppy....bits and pieces....but the hot tub has been really nice for conversations.

Tomorrow we are planning to go to the conference center to picnic and swim and go on the playground with a few other families. Our second pool liner is on its way, the first one is boxed up ready to ship back.

There are five of them in there tonight, in the same room trying to go to sleep...or should I say trying to fool around just enough not to get in trouble... the hot tub has not calmed them down much. Why does it make me so drowsy? I did stay up way too late last night, my sister and I went to visit a a friend, and stayed until almost 1:30.....but it was worth it.

Years ago, if I was going on a daylong outing with the little ones (Abigail has other plans, so it is just the younger ones and I), I would be getting ready for it the night before. Now, it is all I can do to get through the day, I am too tired to get ready for tomorrow, too. It will be a bit crazy in the morning, but we'll get it all together....and maybe I'll remember my coffee this time, too....

No comments: