summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Friday, April 30, 2010

almost a record....

My children all went to school every day this week except for Sonja, who stayed home today. She had a darned good reason, which was that I told her to stay home. And I had a darned good reason, too. And you know what? She would kill me if she found out I wrote it on here. But jeepers, if a child wets his or her pants in school, which is tear-water tea anyway, why would the teacher send that child to the nurse for some goofy shorts to wear around for the rest of the day, instead of calling the mommy, who would drop everything gladly to come rescue that child from being morbidly embarrassed all day long? Why would the teacher not let the child use the bathroom in the first place? Is the child telling the truth, that the teacher said that "this is not the time to use the bathroom"? Well, I shall call the the teacher today and very nicely inquire. She is a nice lady, and she certainly doesn't like to see this happen to children either, but sometimes adults forget about children, how they don't plan well for things like having to use the bathroom.....my dear Sonja is a last-minute-have-to-go-pee-REALLY-bad kind of girl. rrr. It makes me cry, the whole thing. She said the kids laughed at her. I never ever ever want to send her back.

I picked Kathryn and Evelyn up from school yesterday for a dentist appointment. Afterwards we went to B.Js for milk and cheese and snacks for the trip. Then a quick trip to the dollar store for some birthday stuff, and some snacks for the boys....then to A.C.Moore for orange t-shirts for the soccer kids, then to the dreaded carwash to vacuum out the van. Oh My Goodness. There are these cupholders on the one side, where the plastic inserts have come out, leaving these convenient trashholders for the kids. Oh My Goodness. We were shrieking and laughing like idiots at the things we pulled out of their personal trashcans. I will spare the details, but it was nice to get that done. We vacuumed four dollars worth, and cleaned the dash and the inside of the doors with wipes. Then we took her through the carwash, and wow. She doesn't look brand new, (not with all the dents in the doors)(Ben did the back one, and Emily the side ones), but she looks respectable.

Phew. That was a big job, and all this time I was just churning inside to get back to my other kids. Mirielle was so nice to be home making dinner (chicken alfredo), and the Krispie treats for Jon's class. When I got home with all the stuff to carry in, the big kids had left for the youth meeting, Rosie escaped and headed for the neighbors, and Emily arrived with her new car. Needless to say, there are still some things to put away and clean up today. Kathryn, Evelyn, and I ate dinner at 8:30. We were going to eat a bit earlier, but when Suzanne opened the refridgerator door, and one of the gallons of milk fell off the top shelf and burst open on the floor, we had a bit of a clean-up job. It was interesting, because I was very aware of my growing impatience, and was working at not complaining, yet it was almost like I was a ventriloquist, with my daughter saying the things I was tempted to say..... all I can say is the flesh is never satisfied. After all Mirielle had done for me, I was tempted to grumble and complain. Praise God for His goodness, that I can be free from being a bitter and grumpy person!

Waffles. Krusteaz frozen waffles are so good. I got some at BJs and we cracked the box open and had some as a snack while we were out and about. yum. I made homemade syrup this morning, because it is Jonathan's birthday, and it is his favorite. (melted butter with brown sugar)

Yes, it is Jonathan's birthday, he is six years old today. I have loved all my babies, but I think he was the one I was the MOST thankful for. Because he came after Robert, who was sweet and sad and stillborn. I mean, that summer seven years ago when I had Robert, I was in a state I didn't understand, but is clear to me now. I was very depressed, and mourning. I stayed up half the night with Benjamin all summer, watching the Yankees. I never cared too much for baseball, but that summer I was obsessed. I remember that feeling of just not caring about things, and just going through the motions. Then, six weeks after Robert's birth/death, I was pregnant for Jonathan. I was nervous, that blissful happiness of being pregnant just wasn't there anymore, it was replaced by that tentativeness....but the pregnancy went well, and it comforted me, although sometimes I felt unloyal to Robert, that we were replacing him. Jonathan's birth was wonderful. (I probably didn't think that at the time, but hey, 6 years have gone by....) Emily was with me the whole time. I had labored for days at home, and was getting tired. When I was seven centimeters, and just plain stalled, I asked for some pitocin. He was born within 45 minutes. He cried and cried and cried when he was born, he didn't like the light and noise and air. After he settled down, he was such a good baby. I do forget details, but I remember holding him and just crying and being so thankful. And my sister and her girls came to see him, and my niece Grace, who was only 16 months old, was fascinated with him. He was a complete and total blessing, and he was alive! (I honestly remember holding Robert and just willing him to breathe, just breathe, do not be dead, come on!!) So I had a greater appreciation for Jonathan....and him being the little boy after those 5-little-girls-in-a-row, then having two little girls after him, has made him very special. It is amazing how he has grown up loving his cars and trucks and keys and steering wheels, even though he has worn his share of pretty dresses and heels, playing with his sisters.....

This afternoon, Benjamin has to be at work at three or four.......Aaron has to be at work by four....Abigail and Joseph are working all day and leaving from work to work at the Carrier Dome for the Block Party rap concert, Emily and Mirielle and Mali are also going to work there....I am leaving at five for Conneticut, with the big van full of excited soccer players, plus Evelyn, Suzanne, and Sonja....that leaves Paul here with Jonathan, Charlotte Claire, and Camille. He said he would take them someplace fun...

It is hard to leave them behind, my little ones. I won't be with the older soccer kids, just Evelyn, Suze and Sonja....and it will be nice to spend time with them. They are SO excited. Sonja was all packed, and I asked her what shirts she packed...she had a puzzled look on her face, and said, "Oh, I didn't pack any shirts..." Undies? same thing. I didn't even ask what made her bag so big and full.....she probably brought a huge teddy bear or something....

I have the gift of gab this morning, so I will end this nonsense before I bore myself to death.....

2 comments:

Joni said...

Ooohhhhh, that upsets me, too - your wet pants at school story. Our older daughter is the same, she waits until last minute and sometimes has an accident. When she had an accident in school (couple times) she wore other clothes, but they fit well and were decent.

Oh, I can imagine the anxiety as your baby was born after the stillborn. We had babies number 4, 5, and 6 not wanting to breathe when they were born (were on respirator and in hospital 9 days, 2 weeks, and 4 days.) When number 7 was born and he cried, the dr. just let him cry and cry for a few minutes because he knew it was such music to our ears that he was healthy. We don't know to this day why those 3 had the issues they had, but I am so thankful they were alive and well within a short period of time.

MoonDog said...

when I was a little girl in school I was embarrassed to have the other girls in the bathroom hear me going tinkle tinkle tinkle. so even though it was enforced we ALL go to the bathroom at bathroom time I just went in and pretended because I was NOT going to have them hear me! of course this means that later when it "was not bathroom time" I needed to go. and sometimes really bad! thankfully my parents were understanding and said that if I ever needed to GO and GO NOW and was refused that I was free to just go even after teacher said no and that they would deal with the fallout. As long as I didnt make a habit of it or use it as an excuse to screw around. there was only one or two times I had to do just that. but I was so relieved to "have permission" from my parents and know I wouldnt be in trouble for it. hope your little one doesnt have too much trouble.