summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Thursday, April 8, 2010

my house....

This is the house that Paul built. Paul and three of my brothers. We were on a low budget, and wanted a functional house. It is on 2 and a half acres, in the country, and it is a "raised ranch", so the front downstairs is half-way in the ground, but it opens up totally in the back, with full sized windows downstairs. When I drew up our house plans (I drew a rectangle and filled it in), we were expecting our fifth child. He was a year old when we moved in (and I was newly pregnant for Aaron) We obviously didn't know we would end up with this many kids, but I am glad we can fit them in. A few of the rooms downstairs were playrooms when the older kids were little......

Anyways, our house: it is leaky. The plumbing in the main bath leaks sometimes into the bedroom beneath it. It has been fixed, but not fixed enough, apparently. Now a new trick is happening, when someone turns on the hose outside, it leaks into the downstairs. We did not know of this new trick when we let the kids play with the hose and fill the little pool last week. The downstairs carpeting is WET. Today we have lots of windows on and a fan running down there. It can and will be fixed, it is just part of being HAPPY HOMEOWNERS. Our windows need replacing. Over by our door there is a spot of bare floor where my dearly departed brother Billy neglected to finish the tile, covered by a few throw rugs, now starting to deteriorate. Not the rugs, the floor. So we cannot just slap a few more tiles, we have to replace the floor boards. And our screen door got broken or bent in all the snow, and doesn't close all the way anymore.

Is this a complain-y post? It isn't meant to be. I just want to be realistic. Paul isn't such a Mr. Fixit, but he is a great daddy and a wonderful husband. I do not mean to complain about him, either. We are just busy with a lot of things, and things here just don't get done. I did vacuum and mop today, I am not talking about those kinds of things. (If we lived in a great big spacious new house like the Duggars, I wouldn't have any trials at all. ha.)

Most of the time it doesn't bother me that there are so many things to fix up. But every once in a while, it really gets to me. But it takes time and money to do things, and.....

So why am I writing about this? I guess I want to be honest. We all have our trials in our life, and there are things we cannot control, and cannot automatically fix immediately, so what shall we do? We can plan and do our best, and be at rest about the rest. Ha, I poemed that....

Today my computer is at work with Paul, he is having a guy look at it for me. Yay. Because if he can fix it, I can put pictures up again, and sit in my nice comfy chair with it, instead of this awful chair at the computer table. And I am hogging this, there are at least three kids who want a turn. The kids are all home from school now, and they have things to talk to me about so ......(and I had SO many things to say!)

But one more thing: Joni, that "twilight baby" that you speak of is my secret hope. Paul said a while ago that if I get rid of all the baby stuff, I would surely have another one. So I got rid of most of it, like 90% of it. Wouldn't that be a double bonus, if I had another and had to get all new stuff too?

8 comments:

Eighteen said...

Exactly what was going to say on your previous post... get rid of all your baby stuff and it WILL happen :-)

As for your house... I bet it is a lovely HOME though.... even for all it's structural little faults.

mommeeof10 said...

Our house is around 100 years old and a money pit. When we are both working, we have no time to work on it. Before I went back to work, we could not afford to fix it.

Anonymous said...

"We can plan and do our best, and be at rest about the rest. "
I'll keep that quote in mind :)

About the baby stuff, I heard it work, but can you really part from all your strollers and prams?? good luck!

Martha said...

We have never lived in a castle. (I'm hoping for a cottage-like mansion in heaven someday...) My husband IS the fix-it type but who has time or wants to do that when they are doing it all the time for others? My new bathrooms are awesome and quite a surprise at that. Clutter happens everyday. In all my years of fighting it, it continues to gain ground. (Well, that's how it feels.) We have plenty of projects awaiting our attention; the cedar siding needs desperately to be stained, rooms need painting, and the furnace needs a check up. If you stop in and see the number of shoes by my back door, you will likely think the whole family is visiting. Only one pair is mine as I keep the rest upstairs in a big basket. Dishes feel at home in my sink and crumbs insist on playing on the counter tops. Where IS my broom anyway? Oh, and when I say "Don't get out ALL the toys," They always say, "Okay." Why Do I say that?

One day soon I will send you an email.

Tracy said...

Sure enough....now that 90% of the baby stuff gone....it will happen. I only have 3 kids :-( love the kids and always wish for more (hubby - really does not want anymore)However my oldest (20 yrs) is about to have a baby, so I get to be a grandma! (by the way my youngest is 7 yrs - so I am a young grandma) But back to the baby stuff, every time I gave stuff away, I ended up pregnant. But then again I have "big" gaps in thier ages. The kids now are 20 yrs, 12 yrs, and the "baby" is 7 yrs. I can totally relate to wanting another one. I have recently been pushing my husband towards adoption. I pray everyday his heart will turn towards adoption. Untill then, I enjoy all the babies at church! Sorry this post is so long.

FLmom7 said...

((Hugs)) on all the house stuff, yes being a homeowner has it's negatives, that's for sure. I'm glad you are real about it. I hope you get another baby, and soon! I agree w/getting rid of most of the baby stuff usually ends up in pregnancy. I usually don't keep much from my previous pregnancy/baby and then I end up with a new baby:) Hope it works for you!

16 blessings'mom said...

First of all, I haven't parted with the strollers or prams yet! That will be painful! I did give my niece one of my favorites, but I still have lots left. And I am glad to know I am not the only one who doesn't live in a palace. It does embarrass me somewhat, but that is just pride, which I don't like anyway. Thank you for your comments!

Tereza said...

My husband does know how to fix just about everything but never has time!!!!!!!! Like EVER:):)
With you having birthed and raised (well some are older anyway) 16 kids...it would be downright depressing to me if your house was nice:):):) Selfish of me I know...but it makes me feel better reading about it:) sometimes blogs only portray the good and I read it and think..."what the heck is wrong with me then?" "why can't I manage it all, keep up on it all etc"...it's nice to be able to read of all the imperfections of life too and I find I can relate:)!