summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Monday, November 22, 2010

i cried....he cried....and she cried....

And Paul cried....and his sisters cried....

And yes, he will be home for Christmas...but still. We cried.

I dropped him off at the recruiting office, he told me he loves me, and away he went. I drove away. And I cried. I then went to the grocery store for milk and ice cream for Mali, (which came to $98, I got carrots, peppers, bananas, eggs, biscuits.....oops).....and I told the cashier about Ben.....she said, "it is not a smart time to join the military"....oh, that helps. Anyway....

Tomorrow morning we have to get up bright and early to go watch Ben swear in. I am hoping I behave myself, I tend to get inappropriately silly during solemn occasions. I have had to leave services and weddings, I am not proud of this. It happens. Especially if something funny happens when I am sad.

We gave Ben a bible last night, that we all signed with encouraging words and verses.

I hope he reads it.

Thanks for the kind words from everyone regarding him.

Oh, and parent teacher conferences were delightful. Jonathan has let his teacher in on his Hess Truck obsession, Sonja is doing well and fine, and Suzanne has apparently taken a girl in her class with special need, under her wing and takes good care of her. Her teacher got teary-eyed telling me how it blessed her heart to see how good Suze is with little Hannah.

I am too distracted to write...three girls still up....

7 comments:

Virginia Revoir said...

OHhh, my boys are all still little so I haven't had to worry about that. That has to be so hard to have them grow up and say goodbye like that. Especially for moms that worry. We will keep him in our prayers at home. :)

true blessings said...

oh my goodness ,I hope you feel better,just lean on the Lord,my baby brother also left for the army a few yrs ago and it was the hardest thing ,but now he is back .I have many blogs on my favorites list,yours is of course on there,but first I read all the rest before I get to yours,but right before i do ,i grab a cup of coffee,cause ' it's worthy to be read while enjoying a cup of coffee.enjoy your long posts Della! You are an inspiration to me,i wanted (want ) a lot of kids.....sigh

Heather said...

God bless your son! It is the perfect time for him to join the military if that is where God wants him:-) You must be very proud of him.

Mike and Katie said...

That was a really thoughtless comment. Now more than ever great men of courage who are willing to sacrifice for others are needed in the military. I will pray for him.

FLmom7 said...

Oh, that must be so hard to have to say goodbye, even if it's not forever, it still is hard. My husband joined the military when we were first married and I remember having to ship him off to basic...but it is a different feeling, I'm sure, than shipping off a son. I will pray for your son's safety and that all will be well. What a stupid thing for the cashier to say- it is ALWAYS honorable for a person to serve this country. You should be proud of your son, and that cashier should be ashamed of her attitude. Where does she think her freedom came from?

Enjoy the ceremony today and try to behave yourself:-) LOL

Anonymous said...

My husband just rejoined the military after a tour in Iraq and everything, so it can't be all that bad. He will be going to Africa for a year in August next year. If there's one thing I know about being related to a soldier is that there's a great sense of pride that go along with it as well as constant worry. You always have to remind yourself that if for whatever reason he should not make it home, he was doing what he loves and fighting for our country's freedom so the rest of your children (and future grandchildren) could live in a safer place! But don't worry too much, God will take care of him.

Humble wife said...

It is a hard thing to stand back as a mom and allow our sons to be the men that they are to be. ((Hugs)) to you all during this time, believe me I understand.

Jennifer
mom to Bill(stationed in Afghanistan)

ps this is our first Thanksgiving ever without all of us under the same roof. He has been home on leave every other time. This seems to be a season of crying!