summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Friday, November 5, 2010

we are going!!!

Yes, we booked our vacation! We are going to the Dominican Republic. The place we went to in Jamaica is all booked for the week we can go, so we looked around...and found a hotel in the same chain, good reviews, lovely, and all-inclusive. All-inclusive is the best, most vacation-y part for me, because once we know how much the total trip costs, we don't have to worry about how much anything costs while we're there. We can relax...have what we want to eat or drink or even order room service. I can't believe we are really going...I won't really believe it until we get on the plane.

Because I have lived just long enough to know that things happen. Nothing is certain but death and taxes. I am not a cranky old pessimist, and hope to never be one, but still....and now, down in Jamaica, Tropical Storm Tomas is wreaking havoc...Tomas is forecast to gain hurricane strength by the time it hits poor Haiti...and of course Dominican Republic is on that same island....

And yes, I do wish I could sneak over to Haiti and adopt a few orphans.

It is snowy/rainy out right now....cold and gloomy...but very cozy in here, despite the fact that my feet are cold. I guess I will just have to buy new slippers...I guess winter is not kidding, it is really going to come. One of my dear little daughters told me yesterday that they can't just wear their sweatshirts and jackets much longer, they need winter coats. That is something that I am very conscious of. That I need to get those out and take stock, hopefully there is something lovely and clean and super well-fitting for each child, with working zippers to boot! But it ain't likely. Same thing with boots....blah. So of course I procrastinate. Mittens, aaah!!! Mittens. Mittens hate each other almost as much as socks do.... as if our entry way isn't already jam packed....

Oh, all the things I can find to complain about....the clothes couch...AAAHHH!!! It is taking over! I washed a huge load of socks yesterday, washed them twice to get them nice and clean...and there they are, draped gracefully over the load of clean towels. And there is a big load of darks in the dryer...and a load of Mali's stuff in the washer....and lots of other stuff waiting for a ride in that washer...

Yesterday I took the iron burners off the top of the stove, and cleaned and shined the top. I shined up the ever-fingerprint-y chrome front of the stove and the refridgerator, and the dishwasher.....I puttered and picked up and cleaned and swept....but the work to be done around here is so constant!

One thing that made me really happy yesterday was that I actually walked on the treadmill! I kept thinking, "after I get this done, I'll go on it, after I get THIS done..." and I realized how much I was procrastinating, so I just left the work and unfolded it, got on my pretty black and pink Nikes (yes, I still have them. I can't seem to wear them out, wah!)...and walked for 13 minutes, as fast as I could. Now, that doesn't SEEM like very long, but believe me, it was! My knee has been giving me much trouble lately, so I have to be careful.

I also have two ten pound weights I keep in my room, every other day I lift them for several reps....it isn't much, but one has to start somewhere....

Tonight might be pool night, too. I love the pool, but when it is dark and cold, coming out of there into the night air....brrr.

So today has begun...all of the kids have gone to school. I am picking Margaret and Kathryn up early, when Mirielle gets home from college.....we will take the two little girls and head down to the big suburbs, 40 minutes away, to get Marg's glasses repaired at Sears. And I will do a quick check to see if I can possibly find a really cheap bathing suit that makes me look fantastic. (I have been looking at some online, but they use these skinny models...I try and try to visualize ME in those suits, and somehow...I just can't. And they are so expensive! So that's one positive about going to a different place this year, I can wear last year's bathing suit....)

It is clear I have the gift of gab this morning...blah....time to face reality....

2 comments:

FLmom7 said...

I love your description of the laundry on the couch, lol. Hope you have a wonderful 2nd honeymoon in Dominican Republic. My sister went there for her honeymoon a few yrs ago and they loved it.

Tereza said...

foir bathing suits go to junonia.com They have some very good ones for bigger ladies!!!

I seem to have to go out every day for one thing or another...almost every day. Today I gotta take my daughter for a blood test and to get more antibiotics. I wish I could just stay home and do stuff....I wish to ask you how you do it all...but I already know:) Still....it felt nice to just hyjack your comments and get it out:) Hope that was ok!

Anyhow...I hope that vacation works out for you. It sounds so lovely!
We don't get big winters here but I've heard we are getting a harsh one this year so I went through the winter stuff....It's a big job! Good luck:):):)