summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Wednesday, March 14, 2012

almost a year!!!

I am shocked that it has been almost a year since I decided to become a healthy person. Wow. It was the end of March last year, that fateful day I went to the dr. and had a blood pressure reading of 156/84.

Reading back on some of those entries here is amazing, I could barely walk up that evil hill.

And after a sluggish winter of maintaining my weight, going up and down, and the gallbladder surgery, I am starting all over again. I did my mile+ walk/run thing yesterday, where I jogged until I couldn't, then walked briskly until my breathing was almost normal, than took off again. I also did a ten minute version of my old exercises, and some squats, which were killer. There is really something to be said about exercise when it concerns making good food choices...when I wasn't able to do much physically, it seemed my self-control was really hindered. I have had a few days of eating well...yesterday I did have some chocolate chips, but I think I can still progress with a bit of dark chocolate in my life. I reach in that bag and make myself drop a few back in...then after they melt away in my mouth, I have to almost beat myself up to resist going back for more...

I could eat chicken every day. Wait, I do! Just about, anyway. Yesterday I par-boiled drumsticks and thighs, then grilled them with barbecue sauce just enough to give them that grilled flavor, any yum! We also had mixed veggies and noodles, although I skipped the noodles.

Basically, all I eat is meat and veggies and fruit and almonds, plus my oatmeal and peanutbutter for breakfast. And a daily yogurt. I love bread, especially freshly baked bread, love the crust and the soft fluffy inside, I love bagels and muffins and raisin toast...but I cannot have those things anymore. If carbs made one thin, I would be a toothpick after all these years. All those pregnancies eating crackers and bagels, all those years being so tired and having those little babies and having so little time, grabbing the quick fixes to eat: carbs. No wonder I was so tired all the time. It was a vicious circle, being too tired to exercise, being too fat to exercise, and having a snack when I couldn't get a nap...

I feel like I am finally coming up for a breath of air. If I could do it all over again, I would certainly eat better, and I would have MADE time to exercise, somehow. But it seemed totally insane to even consider it when I had a floor that always needed sweeping and it took planning just to sneak in to go pee.

Just for the record, I WOULD do it all over again.

Today I have to pick three kids up, take one to the dr., and two to the dentist. That means I have to leave here in a few hours. I have already put in a load of towels, and it is not too messy in here since I did a lot yesterday.

I texted Ben a picture of the Evil Hill yesterday while on my walk. It made him homesick. I think he is feeling it extra badly right now. I wish he could come home before deploying, but he simply doesn't have enough leave time.

It isn't always easy to keep track of who is where around here. Especially on the nice days when kids are going on bike rides and walks. Yesterday I took my walk, Joe went on a run, a few went on a bike ride, and two of the girls went on a walk. Trouble was, I didn't know these two girls even went. I would have sent them with my phone and gave them a time limit/limit to how far they could go. But, they didn't tell me. Dinner time came, I thought they were in their room. Nope, the other kids started saying, they are still gone. Gone where? (Good Mom Award). Joseph hopped in the car and found them a mile or so down the road. They had gone further than they realized, around a huge loop they thought was much smaller, then one of them got a tummy ache, and they couldn't go any farther for a while...they were pretty thankful to see Joseph, and came in the door saying they would never ever do that again. Wake up call for me, though. It is second nature to keep track of the little ones, but when the older ones slip out like that, oops! They were gone for two and a half hours! (and of course they, "Thought you knew, Mom!")

I won't be issuing tracking bracelets, but I will be reminding them all to please check with me before going anywhere. Not that I always remember, sometimes I get panicked and ask where someone is, and on of the other kids reminds me that they are shopping with cousins or at soccer practice. blah.

But most of the time I know where they all are and what they are doing.

We are having nice warm and spring-like weather, and I love it. We could well be getting more snow next week, I doubt winter is gone for good, but it is still nice to enjoy the sunshine and warmth.

9 comments:

Endo_Life said...

I hope your scales are being kind to you. I am now 49.5lb down and back under 200lb at last. I have taken up jogging and I have the couch to 5k app on my phone maybe that is something you could try if you have a smartphone you can get the app on.

I have no idea how you keep track of everyone and cook enough food every day to keep everyone fed. You DO deserve the great mom award!

Cindy @ Marriedtothemilitary {dot} net said...

I am so proud of you......I started a running blog, you should come over and check it out. I labeled it wanaberunner.blogspot.com I am trying to become a runner.

You are doing great. No matter how many slips you have, you have NOT given up and that is what is most important.

Keep up the good work!

OurLilFullFam said...

Tracking bracelets, now that is an idea!

I am so glad you are doing well on your journey!

I have been following the diet plan by Cynthia Sass, and you can have all kinds of fruits/veggies, a very small amount of whole grain, and lots of different kinds of healthy fats like nuts, avocados, olives AND she is dead set on you eating a piece of dark chocolate everyday!

I did it back in the summer, and then when I had my herat trouble I stopped, winter happened and then a couple weeks ago I was at the same place - my blood pressure was pretty close to yours at 154/90, so I started the same thing as you.

Looks like you have had great progress, you should be very proud! I wouldn't trade my babies either - but I want to be able to enjoy them and be here a while to do that!

Stephanie

mom of 7 said...

Just wanted to let you know that you have inspired me to start losing weight. i need to loose about 70 lbs, ten pounds for each kid lol anyway in the beginning did you feel like you were dying while working out? I just walked my almost 4 year olds to pre-school and i can barely breathe.
Rachel

jen said...

I had an idea. You know those signs that allow staff to select 'In' or 'Out', with the slide-across block, a bit like in Peanuts? You could see if any kids or relatives are handy-enough to make one for you with all your kids' names, and when they go out they can slide it to 'out' so you know where they are.... Could look quite good if you have some artistic folk around! Goodness knows how you keep track, I struggle just with two and second-guess when ones out at a club and wonder why it's so quiet! I know wnvy and jealousy are wrong but sometimes I can't help it when I think how blessed you are, I'd love more than two... You truly are a lucky lady.

Cindy @ Marriedtothemilitary {dot} net said...

oK so I totally tanked....its wanabrunner.blogspot.com

Mum said...

I just wanted to send to send you a big hug about Ben. We will keep him and your family in our prayers. My husband is on training for another two weeks, then he is off again until quite probably Christmas. Your Ben is such an amazing guy and certainly will bring hope, and comfort to many other people because they are blessed to have him on their team. Not that it makes it easier on a Mama.

Awesome work on keeping up with weightloss, on top off the hundreds of other things you do each day. You are so worth it, and deserve the care you are giving to you.

16 blessings'mom said...

49.5 pounds!! Yay for you! Doesn't it feel nice? Rachel..yes, I felt like I was going to die. Just walking down my road, one mile, killed me. The first several times I would have to come home and just lie on the couch...it was awful. My knees screamed, I was out of breath. Do not give up. Little at a time, it will get better. I know first hand what a vicious circle it is to be heavy and out of shape, it hurts to exercise, it seems impossible to break out of. For me, it was the high blood pressure reading that was my "switch", finally. After years of wanting to do something, that was just the trigger that made me actually change. Good luck to you, and remember: you can do this!!! Even though it seems like a physical suffering, it is mostly a mental battle!!!

mom of 7 said...

Thank you so much for encouraging me:) It really means a lot to me
Rachel