summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Tuesday, March 20, 2012

when your son goes off to war....

Benjamin
When he first joined the Army...he looks so much younger in this picture.
Mr. Cool Ben holding Jonathan
This was the Christmas before Charlotte Claire was born, when we had fourteen kids. Benjamin was 17 and had some curls going on. (wasn't Jonathan cute?)
Little Aaron, Joseph, and big brother Benjamin. Trouble, oh they were something...
Visiting me in the hospital after Margaret was born, Mr. Ben had just turned 8 the month before...
Emily 12, Abigail 10, Benjamin 8, then Mirielle 7, Joseph 6, and Aaron 4, then Mali 3 and Sam 2, then baby Margaret...
Benjy was around 8 here, with Sammy.
Benjamin Bunny didn't actually vacuum when he was that young, but by the time he was three he did. He was always so energetic.

I knew the time would come for him to leave, but the military has done what it does best, change the game. Two times, he has learned he is leaving earlier than he thought. He gets his weapon issued tonight, departure tomorrow. He has been gone from home, all grown up in the Army, for well over a year. But this new thing, this going to Afghanistan, is different. I knew he was going there, but it sneaked up on me. I knew he was going, but I didn't fully understand how I would FEEL about it. He is all grown up now, but he is still my little guy. Years fly by, but to a mom, years are just numbers, those memories of our kids when they are little can't possibly be of things that happened so long ago, they are so fresh and vivid. I am not afraid for him, really, because I know God will watch over him. But that knowledge is like everything else, subject to temptations of thoughts of horrible things happening. And it didn't help that he called me a little while ago and explained that if anything happens to him, official Army guys will come to the house...basically, don't believe anything I might read on facebook or anything else. I asked him not to tell me this right now, I was seriously going to lose it. But he said stranger things have happened, and sick people have tricked families. blah. So my boy, my 6 pound 3 ounce baby, is all grown up and going to war.

14 comments:

Mary Kate said...

Praying for Benjamin and for all of you. May God keep him safe from all harm. Thank him for his service; what a brave and selfless act!

WicketsMom said...

The army is good at changing their minds repeatedly. My youngest brother (now 34) had his deployment dates moved around alot. My other brother even moved their wedding date up three months so he would still be here and then he ended up not leaving for another six months.

Ben is correct about the worst-case notification process though. the army will NOT call, e-mail, send snail-mail or anything else other than in-person notification by uniformed personnel. Sick people out there have fooled worried families by making these types of calls as a 'prank'.

My brother has made two one-year tours, both to Iraq. He came back with some great stories and photos of places the rest of us will never get to see. He is in a position now where he should not have to deploy again, but nothing is guaranteed.

Humble wife said...

((((((hugs)))))))

I read your blog daily(sometimes more than once a day-as you post lots). I rarely comment, but wanted to let you know I understand. My baby went to Afghanistan too. Hardest year of my life. I can only say, I understand and my prayers are with you and your family, and your handsome son.

My blog took a huge hit that year, as I was having a hard time being upbeat. I sent my son boxes though, weekly. The post office boxes-if it fits it ships-were what I used. The packs to add to water bottles(Koolaid mixes etc) were a major hit over there. Homemade cookies, brownies, rice krispie treats would be enjoyed by all that were with my son when he opened the box-these did not last an hour.

I also sent birthday in a box, holidays in a box, the county fair in a box-to try and keep him home too.

Warm fleece bedding was big too, as well as extra pillows. We scrunched the pillows and packed them in the mid size if it fits it ships box.

Not sure if your son will be stationed in as remote place as my son, but he may be. The PX for my son was the back of a semi truck...and it was sparse. So things your son likes such as gum, non melting candy, and the likes would be great. I packed the candy in ziploc baggies just in case.

Toiletries boxes are good too. Razor, deodorant, lotion, soap, toothpaste, and toothbrushes...as well as wipes in the individual packets. Large packs dry out. Again we packed the toiletries in ziploc bags just in case.

If you would not mind, we on the farm would love to send a box to your son too. I know it is important to keep the young men and women uplifted in spirit, and several send boxes to my son-he told me that it was nice to have people all over that were thinking of him, as it was a crappy place to be. HOT, windy, arid, cold, windy, sandy, hot, windy, sandy, was in an email to us once from our boy...

Anyhow, I am sure you know what is best to send your son as he is your baby, but I felt I needed to share. I wish this year was over and he was arriving home instead of heading off. Maybe you could make a paper chain of the days he is overseas, so the siblings can help count down until he is stateside again...

((((hugs))) from one mom to another.

Jennifer

Mrs Marcos said...

I'm praying all goes well for Ben..and for his family.

Martha said...

Aw. Please know that I am here praying for you and Ben and Ashley, and everyone who loves them. It's so hard to let them go.

Mrs Marcos said...

P.S. I'm at the other end of the spectrum right now, my first child was born on Thanksgiving, 2011 (a little boy named Joseph and called Joey). Anyway, your post really touched me and made me remember to hold these days close to my heart and appreciate every second because all too soon Joey will be making his way in the world and all I'll be able to do is love him and pray for him.

Anonymous said...

This makes me so sad. I cannot even begin to imagine how you must be feeling. Thanks for sharing and I will be praying for Benjamin to always be safe and also for this useless war to end sooner rather than later!

mom of 7 said...

I feel so sad for you:( I will definately be praying for your son Ben.
Rachel

jeanninewakefield said...

He will be in my prayers.

FLmom7 said...

Sending hugs to you, and prayers for the Lord to keep Ben safe. I can imagine how difficult this is for a mother's heart.

OurLilFullFam said...

Oh how my mama's heart feels for you. Military families do sacrifice so much, whether spouses, children or parents.

I will keep him and you in my prayers!

Stephanie

Cassandra said...

(((gbh))) Della. I can't imagine how hard it is but at the same time you must be so proud of him !! Do not let your fear be bigger than your faith. God will watch over him.
Cassandra xx

Chet and Ashley said...

My husband is in Afghanistan...two months down, approximately six to go! I know it is different than having a child go off to war, but I will say thank goodness for modern technology. Years ago they would have left and we would have relied on only letters to communicate!

Mum said...

Thank you for sharing your wonderful son. I can only imagine how hard it is.

We will pray for him.

What an amazing man your 6lbs baby has become.