summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Thursday, September 20, 2012

today, I love the scale....

Down a few pounds, skipped a number to a new number I haven't seen in several-everal years, yes, a few decades plus. Finally. Each pound or two lost is like another miracle, so much work but seeing that scale budge is SO worth it.

It is chilly here in central New York state. There was frost on the grass this morning when I walked down the road with Crazy Suri-Pup.

The sun is out, it is breezy, and in the fifties. A perfect day for pumpkin muffins, or oatmeal almond cookies. But. I shall not. No way, no how. I just found a recipe for a pizza crust made from cauliflower and coconut flour. I am thinking to try it, but first I need to buy cauliflower and coconut flour. I have no idea where I will even find coconut flour around here. But the point is, I love to bake and eat baked goods, so I think I will busy myself with trying some healthy alternatives.

I wish I were different...I mean, does everyone else think, "cold day, I will bake..."? I do not think so.

Does everyone else who has a can of pumpkin in their pantry hear it calling, "Make me into muffins, please?"

I read all the good advice on weight-loss blogs, like..."after a while you won't even want that junk anymore...". Harumph! I do not think so!

But it is really all in the mind, right? When I am tempted, I try to cut the thought off as quickly as possible, not entertain it. I mean, it is one thing to think of a pumpkin muffin, but if I get as far as mentally peeling off that cupcake wrapper, I have gone TOO FAR. ha.

Anyway. I am busy these days, ha. Yesterday I picked the kids up from school, exercised while Camille rested in my bed...I turned the fan on and sure enough, she fell asleep. Dinner: leftover chicken breast heated in the oven, some chicken patties because there wasn't enough chicken breast, some little mini-hot dog/sausages, a huge pan of sweet potato fries, and long slender green beans. I had two or three of the fries, a few of the mini hot dogs, and a few green beans. I had eaten a good lunch a few hours earlier, so I didn't want to eat again yet...then I had some nuts later, and an apple. My lunch though, yummy! It was steamed cauliflower, cut up chicken breast, topped with diced tomatoes.

Joseph is here right now, he has afternoon/evening classes.

So I am distracted, but in a good way. He is telling me I should write my book now that I have time...

5 comments:

Mike and Katie said...

I feel the same about turning on the oven when it's chilly in the morning. Especially since I have been banned from using it this summer. It's gas and warms up the kitchen so much. I try to bake things like chicken or roasts so we have leftovers for later.

I also have a breakfast cookie we like. No sugar! This is the base. Just multiply based on the number of ripe bananas you have.

1 banana
1 Tbsp coconut or other light oil
1 c oats
little bit of salt

Then you can add nuts, coconut flakes, raisins, spices and vanilla to your liking. I would even throw in that can of pumpkin to experiment (with a larger batch.)

AUTISMOMMA said...

You can find coconut flour in most health food stores. If you don't have a mom & pop health food store, try Whole Foods. And finally, if you are like us and do not have a Whole Foods near you, you might try Tropical Traditions (with www and dot com after it). They sell all types of coconut products online, including coconut flour.

Tereza said...

Um I am one of those crazy forever baking moms:) Yes ALL The time!! It's a struggle not to eat it thats for sure.
I saw coconut flour in save on foods and at the health food store.

Anonymous said...

One cake mix with one 15 oz can of pumpkin. Mix together. No oil,eggs, nada. If you use choc mix, you can't taste the pumpkin. If you use yellow mix, it tastes like pumpkin muffins. Low cal and weight watcher approved. Makes 15-18 muffins.

16 blessings'mom said...

Katie, that sounds so good, but I am allergic to bananas! I cannot eat them, they won't digest and I am doubled over in pain. Sometimes baked in banana bread, I can tolerate a small amount, but even in baked goods I have had bad reactions. As for the coconut flour, I have been checking in the grocery stores in the health food sections and haven't found it yet, but I haven't given up. And...the pumpkin/cake mix recipe: Isn't it a miracle that it is SO easy and good? Mirielle made them for girls' trip one time, and YUM! The problem here is that even if they were only 100 calories each...multiply that...yes, I know my limits, and unless everyone was home and clamoring for these, I couldn't do it. I am not strong enough. Not today anyway. Thank you though!!!