summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Wednesday, September 5, 2012

dear world, my son is in afghanistan....

and I feel like I am there too. It helps me that he talks about his experiences, because I would do anything in my power to help him cope. Listening and praying for him like mad are about the only things I can do. So I listen. And I cry.

He went on a mission. A long hard mission. After clearing two villages, they trekked across the country...a dozen or so army soldiers following a few dozen afghan soldiers. Ben was near the back. He saw the smoke wisping up through the air before he heard the explosion. He heard screaming and cries for the medic. He ran. A sergeant was down. He was like a father to a few of the guys...and those guys were screaming at Ben to Do Something Doc. Now, the Horrid Evil Enemy plants the IEDs with much destruction in mind. When one goes off, there is sure to be more in the vicinity to purposefully get any rescuers blown up too. So Ben wasn't able to rush to the fallen soldier as quickly as he wanted to. All he heard were the pleas of the men, and the screams of the Sgt. Long story short: a lost foot, a gaping wound in his midsection. After securing an open place for the 'copter to land, they dragged him over and waited the longest twenty minutes in Benjamin's life.

World, Benjamin wasn't able to go back to his base, crawl in bed, and deal. No, he cried. Then he joined the line of soldiers to clear another two towns. He said he is fine now. He saved a guy's life, he did his best.

Dear world, this broke my heart. No one can go through that and be "fine now".

He sounds hardened. My boy. He says other guys have seen worse. Other guys have died. He says that he still has his feet, he is fine.

I know he is not fine. I know that he will have to deal with these things. I know that he will never be the same. I know that he will have no patience for the usual things people whine about.

He says he hears every few days about another guy getting blown up. Said last week seven guys stepped on a daisy chain IED. Lost alot of limbs, one soldier blind. He said this as if it is just a fact of life over there.

Dear world...why? Is this accomplishing anything? Did God really create the world so that men can destroy each other?

I know Ben has seen even more than I know about. Ha, after me writing this he might never tell me anything again.

But I just thought it would help me to write this. People ask me, "How is Ben doing?" Well...how can I answer that?

I am hoping and praying that he comes home safely. I pray all the time that he keeps his connection with God through all these things. I pray that the softness and goodness that is my Benjamin will stay in him, tucked away, and be able to flourish later, when he joins the rest of the world in living Real Life.

Please join me in praying for him, and for the other guys over there. And for the rest of us too...that we can each be awake to fight our own good fights....because ultimately, good will triumph over evil. Let's be along in the good.







9 comments:

Karen said...

I can't imagine...

Have you ever read Linny's Blog? aplacecalledsimplicity.blogspot.com

She's got a dozen or so kids and her one son is deployed (I think he still is...I think this is deployment #4?).

Anonymous said...

Just said a prayer for Benjamin. Do you have any ideal when he will be able to come home? God bless you as his momma and bless Benjamin to be safe.
Jeanette

Grace said...

My heart breaks with you. I also pray for Ben's safe return.

FLmom7 said...

This was hard to read, brought tears to my eyes. I am feeling extra sensitive because my oldest son willbe 18 in 2 months and broke the news to me a few days ago that he wants to join the military. Sigh...I have 100% respect for our military (we have a long history of military service in my family). I just don't want my son sent over there. Like you, I see sweetness in my son that I don't want him to lose. I'll keep praying for your son that he comes home safe.

Martha said...

There is too much evil in the world and we will never fully understand why. There really is no answer, but there a God who loves us, and He weeps too.

Prayers for you and your sweet son.

Anonymous said...

I will.
There is no sense in that war and there will be no winners. The sooner they come home the better. We are in Australia and just lost 5 of our soldiers there last week. I cannot even imagine what it must be like for you let alone Benjamin.
May God keep him in the palm of his hands.

Mum said...

Sending prayers for Ben and your family. What a hard road he has to travel. Today, I shall be thankful for my families health, and for the brave men like Ben, who keep us safe and well.

Cindy @ Marriedtothemilitary {dot} net said...

I think this is the thought of every soldier. People forget. People do not realize that while we are all enjoying our lives, that there is still a HUGE war going on. Some days we feel guilty that my husband is here when so many others are suffering, and then I remember that we have done our time. My husband got 9 months with his kids out of 38.

I say prayers every day for all of those soldiers.

T.L. said...

Prayers for him. May he find peace when he comes back.
someone said all wars are civil because they are human against human :/