summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Monday, December 17, 2012

aah, monday again...

Where did the weekend go? The kids went to school, except for the two little sick girls. Jonathan got showered and ate his wheat Chex while watching, "Curious George", then brushed his teeth and got his shoes and coat and backpack and went out and got on that bus all by himself (the six older kids go an hour earlier). I hated to send him. Honestly, after what happened Friday in Connecticut, it makes it all the harder to send the kids off to school. It is just unbearable what happened to those kids.

And it makes all my troubles and trials seem quite silly.

Suri thinks the laundry room is her lair. She stole one of Camille's boots, brought it in to the laundry room. Gloves, the foam package from the hamburger meat...in the laundry room to be chewed up later, I guess. A few Christmas ornaments, a pine cone, one of the stockings that didn't get hung up, a doll. I would just go in and scratch my head and pick random things up...then I realized that Suri was the culprit. I mean, who else would stow the foam burger package in the laundry room?

She hasn't peed on the floor again since the Great Present Catastrophe though.

My coffee is gone, wah. There wasn't a full cup left, and I lazed out and didn't make another pot. My oatmeal was really yummy this morn. We are out of crunchy peanut butter, so I just added a heaping spoonful of pumpkin, some cinnamon and allspice, lots of sliced almonds, some splenda, a teaspoon (yes, I measured)...and whole milk. Yum.

Benjamin is coming home soon!!!!! Yay! I don't know if he is going to tell me when he is coming, or just surprise us. He says I am a terrible secret keeper so he might not even tell me. ouch, I am not! Ashley is coming with him, which is very nice. I have been praying!

Just knowing Ben will be here for Christmas is so so nice. Too bad that Emily-The-Nurse has to work the 24th, 25th, and 26th, all 12 hour shifts. But having Ben home will be just so good. I still read, "The List", on The Drudge Report...I can't help it. Soldiers are still dying in Afghanistan, America may have forgotten that war, but families are still losing their sons, husbands, fathers. I feel like it's the least I can do...read their names, whisper my thanks. I pretty much broke down reading about one of the most recent ones, he was from Benjamin's base, he had just gotten there last month, replacing a Stryker unit. So Ben and his guys come home, one of the replacements gets hit with an Improvised Explosive Device. So I do not take Ben Being Home For Christmas, lightly. Oh no. I am so thankful.

And just for the record, I think the principal of that school in Connecticut should have had a gun. Just sayin'. Or perhaps one in a cabinet in the nurse's office. I mean, this principal and the school psychologist both are heroes, they went after that guy. If only they had had a weapon too. Seriously. I just think if we control guns more, have more laws, the bad guys will still get them. I mean, look at drugs! I could get some tomorrrow, if I so desired. They are everywhere, and guess what: they are illegal!

Anyway. Charlotte Claire is sitting on the couch in her warm fuzzy robe...or rather MY warm fuzzy robe, with a sippy up of water...asking when I am going to be done with Daddy's computer, because she wants a turn. This is good, yesterday she was so sick she didn't care about too much. Camille's temperature is 99.5, so she is on the road to recovery. She is sitting with me.:)

We have no fresh fruit left in the house, except for a bag of grapefruit. I need some pears. Need...no, perhaps NEED is too strong a word. Weightloss news: I seem to keep losing and gaining the same four or five pounds. I am glad I lose them again, but I am getting tired of vowing not to gain them again. But. I will NOT give up. No sir. Not an option. I do not want to re-gain. So I am hereby proclaiming that I will not nibble cookies, take bites of pizza, or eat too many chocolate chips. I will not lie and say I will eat NO chocolate chips, however. ha. I went up a few pounds, but am back down again...but I am SO ready to lose some more...I think I am getting to be an expert at maintenance, but I am not ready for that yet! Fifty more pounds to go!!!

And now I will put those towels in the dryer and put in a load of darks....I need to wash my "Dome jeans". Yes, back to the Dome this afternoon. The basketball coach is hoping for his 900th career win. Seriously, going to work concessions there with the team SO good...is not too difficult. I happen to love college basketball anyway, but to get glimpses of those three pointers, and to hear the crowd roar...not too shabby.

















3 comments:

rachel said...

I respect your opinion, but I dont understand how adding guns to a situation would make that better. How could you ever feel comfortable knowing your children were going into a place that felt the need to prepare for battle. We need to make gun LESS accessible, LESS prevalent. If you think the principal would have been better off with a gun, I only remind you that the shooters mother owned three guns and she died first.

Mike and Katie said...

I agree about the principal. I wish people would realize no school is safe and the new motto for teachers should be Protect and Serve.

16 blessings'mom said...

Rachel...I don't think more laws are going to do anything to curtail guns. Criminals will still get them. There are no easy answers because in this world of ours, there is evil. As Americans, we have a constitutional right to bear arms and protect ourselves. I wish there were no such things as bad guys with guns, but as with illegal drugs, laws don't make them go away. I don't know. One of my kids said his teacher kept the classroom door locked all day yesterday. Dang, that seems like a scary thing for the kids. The whole thing really makes me sad.