summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Tuesday, December 11, 2012

never a dull moment, part II

Suri doesn't go to the bathroom in the house very much anymore. Last night she must have had to go pretty badly. Outside, she goes over to the edge of the woods to do her business. So...you know where this is going, right? Yup. Right under the Christmas tree. Oh, the neat 'lil pile of poop didn't get on anything but the floor, but the pee...oh, the pee. It soaked through at least two dozen gifts. I had to unwrap them and wipe them down...some of the things have to have their tags removed and take a ride in the washer. Mirielle is going to think I got her new ### from the thrift store. It did cross my mind to return it to the store..."These smell like dog pee..." Not really.

Anyway. That is my sob story for the morning. I mean, we just got the mess all straightened out from the tree falling down last evening...all the water from the base mixed with the broken ornaments, the wet gifts... To keep the tree standing, I had to turn it just right, now the side I so nicely had decorated is facing the wall like it did something bad. Oh well. The presents that escaped the pee are piled on the couch, and I have lots to re-wrap.

Suri is having quite a nice Christmas season, I might add. She chewed the sparkly wood star that Sonja made at Activity Club, to splinters. She chewed the head and arms off this cute little rag doll ornament. She chewed up some gingerbread people. She has a special fondness for mittens and gloves, too. She likes them best when the fingers are all gone.

She is sharing the couch with Miss Sonja K. this fine chilly morning. S.K. has a fever, the only one now who has the flu. Evelyn is back to school today, as are all the other kids who stayed home yesterday for various reasons, none of which would stand up in court.

So it is quiet in here for the first time since like last Wednesday.

When I was pulling the presents out of the pee, assessing the damage, I was not a happy camper. Oh My GOODNESS. Jeepers. Dang it. And a few more spicy ones I am not proud of. I mean, jeez. Then, because God is good, I heard this little voice...that perhaps this could possibly be all for my very best. Nope. Not this. rrr. Then a little thought that it is ironic how I am so upset about Christmas gifts when the very reason Jesus was born was so that we an follow Him, and be free from sin...so perhaps this trial was meant to work something good in me, not just get me mad. Hmm. Okay!! True! I need to be cleansed from so much here! And guess what? I got happy. Not thrilled about the dvds and Barbies dripping with pee...or about the brand new socks and yoga pants that have to be de-tagged and washed...but that God loves me. He indeed sends all things for my best.

Which is a good thing, because I was beginning to wonder if the all the forces of the universe have been conspiring against us.

I just hate grumbling and complaining. I really do. I want to learn to be content, and be happy in my days.

Yesterday 27% of the high school students were absent. (only one of them was mine). Since Evelyn and Sonja K. are my only kids who got really sick, I am just waiting for the nurse to call. Mirielle and I both have felt awful on and off, but didn't get the knock-down feverish sickness the two girls have had.

The two little princesses were full of it last evening. They made camping spots in the downstairs hallway. They washed their hands in diaper rash cream. They trimmed their own bangs. They started chasing Suri and pulling her tail, which of course is NOT allowed. They were just short-circuiting. I decided it was because I had spent the day with them and given them so much attention, they wanted more. Plus, it was cold and rainy outside and they had tons of energy. Paul gathered them up and played Matching Game with them, then settled them down with some bible stories before bed. It's funny because a friend was telling me recently that his little boys sometimes stay up 'til all hours jumping around and having pillow fights, and I said that my girls sometimes play Barbies in their beds, but they don't run around so much. hmm.

Anyway, I am thankful today. Thankful for those quiet little suggestions God whispers in my ears. Thankful for my home, my kids, my husband, my rascal of a puppy, the cat who thinks the kitchen table is his "spot" (no, it is't), thankful that Mali passed her semester of nursing school (we were so happy for her we cried. then Aaron and Mirielle, who also passed were like, "hey, we passed too!", and Paul reminded them of the Prodigal son...)

Anyway. Lots to blab about today. But my oatmeal is growing cold, and Sonja might like her mama to talk to....


























4 comments:

Mike and Katie said...

I must say, your last two posts make me thankful we don't have a tree or a dog for that matter. You are a much better mama than me for indulging your kiddos in those pleasures.:)

fairymom aka Victorymama aka Rachel said...

Oh the joys of motherhood! Lol but they all come with such good lessons. Hope the rest of your family stays well. 6 out of 8 of us here have all had our bout of the flu, still holding out hope the baby stays well.

FLmom7 said...

Oh no, Suri!!! NOT under the christmas tree!!! That sounds like a "fun" mess to clean up. So sorry...hope you were able to get the gifts clean. There's a reason I keep the presents hidden in a closet, because I know they'd get destroyed under the tree, lol. You have a good attitude about things though.

Tereza said...

Aww she passed I am happy for her! And so disgusting about the pee stained presents! I can see how that would be a rattling experience to a mama who spent so much time selecting, buying them finally wrapping them . Bad dog:) she will prob learn.
Love your good attitude!