summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Tuesday, June 4, 2013

our poor pool is dead....

Possibly re-vivable, but we threw in the towel and declared it dead. It has rusted through so the liner is peeking out in a few places. If we drain it, pull the liner out of the cracks, patch them up, where will it peek out next? Will it end up like one of those pools that collapse on, "America's Funniest Home Videos"? We are not going to take that chance. Paul is ordering a new one today, I think. I spent a good part of yesterday researching and pricing pools online. The new one will be only 27 ft. around, the dead one is 28.

We got that pool 18 years ago....the summer I turned 30. I was 8 months pregnant for Samuel, our eighth child. Emily Anne was 10, Abigail Marie 8, Benjamin Paul 6, Mirielle Joy 5, Joseph Michael 4, Aaron Royce 2 and a half, and Mali Rose was 16 months old. It was so exciting! We were so eager to try it out, we got in before the ladder was secured. Paul held it in place. Well. He didn't quite anticipate how hard it would be to hold it for me, being so big and preggie.....I lost my balance and fell backwards off that ladder, landing with a thump, flat on my back. The wind was knocked out of me and I thought I was going to die. Then I thought of the baby and was scared to death. When I was able to get up, I called the dr. It was a Friday night, and he said just to sit tight, if the baby was still moving around then everything was probably fine. It was. Samuel was born just a few weeks later, all healthy and robust.

And now I leave to go to the rec. center pool for my morning swim....

2 comments:

Rebecca said...

Oh dear--I have to admit that after I read you were ok I laughed a little at the image of your hubby trying to hold the ladder. Pregnancy makes your sense of balance so messed up doesn't it? Hope you enjoy your new pool!!

Cindy @ Marriedtothemilitary {dot} net said...

my parents had a pool collapse. It is now gone :-( No more pool. they debated if they should put it in the ground (you can do that, I had no idea) of just leave it up and risk the same issue. They took it down. Now my kids have nothing to do at their house. Just think, soon you will have grandbabies to swim at your house :-)