summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Sunday, August 25, 2013

can you say, "embarrassing"?

First of all, I worked at the baseball game today...and yesterday. It isn't so bad, the weather was nice, we were busy enough at the chicken stand for time to fly. But I hate leaving the kids. Not that I don't have kids with me, today Joseph and Samuel worked with me, yesterday Mirielle was there too.

Today was not fun because I almost fainted. Now, I try to eat right. You know that. But today...well, I had gone in the pool, swam around as much as I could in a short period of time to get some exercise, get my blood moving. After a quick shower, it was time to go. I grabbed a few pieces of pepperoni and an apple. Well, we stopped at Tim Horten's on the way to the game...I got an iced coffee, no sugar. And a chocolate glazed donut. Fast forward like three or four hours, I was cashier-ing, and all of the sudden, my heart started pounding and racing, I felt dizzy and confused, and thought I was going to faint. I left the stand and ate a few bites of a Balance Bar and some almonds....and ended up sitting for the rest of the game....I just felt jittery and awful. I am almost certain it was because I ate the sugary donut, then my blood sugar dropped. So guess what? I am cured. No more donuts. I am going to be so careful to eat good balanced meals.....

Anyway, the embarrassing story: when Paul went to Germany, I had my little jealousy thing about him traveling with a co worker who happens to be female. I was a bit miffed that he fondly referred to her as, "Traveling Buddy". Now, this has nothing to do with her, as a person. Or with Paul, whom I totally trust. It was just me, and I am sure I am not the only one in this world who would be a tad bit jealous of her husband going to the other side of the world with....a female co-worker. Dang, is this making the whole thing worse? Because here is what happened....

Paul was with some of his co-workers over there in Germany. A guy from Italy recognized that he was, "The guy with 16 kids". Paul didn't have a photo to show him, so he opened up my blog. And. Someone else apparently opened it up on their phone, and clicked on that article.....oh my goodness....and started reading it out loud. Paul said that his Travelling Buddy was right there next to him. I can't even think about it without feeling like a total idiot. Paul says that's what I get for writing things like that.

I guess that's what I get. But for the record, the whole thing was just for me to write about the way I felt about things. I didn't mean for it to be any big deal, ever. So. Ouch.

It makes me reconsider this whole public blogging thing. I could just as easily write and not show it to anyone. I just like to write, it helps me sort things out. It relaxes me.

Can I get some feedback? Am I too open, too honest? Should I censor myself more?

I do miss him like crazy, my husband. I really do. I don't care anymore about having the bed all to myself, being able to read for half the night. I just want him to come home. I have talked to him a few times on the phone, and just hearing about his trip to the Baltic Sea, going to dinner with his colleagues...hearing his voice...made me miss him so much.

Then he told me he might go back for a week in September. And for two weeks in October. AND for two weeks in November.

I guess that means I will have to learn how to do more things around here instead of waiting for Paul to fix them.

Anyway, summer is almost over and I am sad about that. My two little girls are jumping up and down waiting for school to start. Camille is too smart, she is keeping track on the calendar. I personally like to stay in denial about how little of summer is left, then panic when I realize that Labor Day weekend is upon us and we still have to fill the backpacks.....

So in the midst of all of our craziness, I am dreaming of a vacation with Paul again. I mentioned it to him the other day as I drove him to the airport, and he said, "You can go hunting with me.". Um, no. No thanks. It would be extreme torture for me, blabbermouth that I am, to sit there, all alone in the woods with my husband, and have to stay quiet. Waste of good alone time!

Not to mention the deer are too cute to shoot.

No, the vacation I am dreaming of is one that I now know exists, because we have had a few of them. They consist of forgetting about all of our many responsibilities, and enjoying each other. I know they exist, and that is almost worse than all those years of not realizing that we could possibly have so much fun together, and that such a state of relaxation really does exist. On our first trip, after being married for 26 years, I said to myself, "So THIS is why people go on these vacations!!!". I mean, to us, "vacation" meant camping with like a dozen kids. I won't even go into why that doesn't really qualify.

So Mirielle and Kathryn went to town to get a movie from Redbox. I shouldn't stay up late again. But I know I will. Because it is still summer.....and I shall enjoy every minute of it.















10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well I suppose yes, that would have been embarrassing. But! But when you think about it a bit more it is perfectly normal and dignified what you wrote, and actually enviable (is that a word?!) that after so many years/kids you still feel like that. You didn't write anything nasty about the travelling buddy but just expressed what the rest of us all would be feeling too - and him, should things be reversed! I think it is a compliment to Paul and you should not fret about it.

What is too open or honest is a personality thing I think. For me, you are not too open at all. You are honest and share however you don't share everyone's business and issues with no regard for their privacy and that always comes across.

karuna demla said...

Don't stop blogging.I think it was kind of cool that someone recognized him from your blog.We all sometimes say and do things which embarrass other people.They will get over it.I love your blog so please don't stop

Anonymous said...

I don't think you should be embarrassed . You didn't write anything derogatory about the traveling companion. I'm jealous of everyone who gets to travel with my dh for work. Why wouldn't I be? An all expenses paid trip with a guy who is a good worker and great to be around. But do tell Paul to put the pictures from the blog on his phone, so he doesn't have to pull the blog up!

Mert

Mary Kate said...

Or..... That's what your husband gets for not carrying pictures of his family!! ;)

If you're like a lot of women who blog, it is your "therapy"
and your creative outlet; it would be silly to change it all
up now, wouldn't it?

I love reading your posts and being inspired by you and your daily adventures. Don't stop!!

Cheryl said...

Haha Haha.. I can't stop laughing!!!! It's kind of like when you have a bad dream, and you know you're sleeping..you think.. If this was in a book or movie it would be hilarious!! You could write a 'talkaholic' book.. You win a prize, for sure..

Anonymous said...

I used to read tons and tons of blogs...since about 3 years ago, yours is the only one I check every day! I love your honesty, and your writing style. Don't stop blogging. Many times, you say that you aren't going to give details that you shouldn't share, so you are aware when you don't need to say things! I wish sometimes you did share, but that's just because I like details. However, what you do share has never struck me as too much or anything like that. I would be jealous if my husband got to go to a far away place with a woman companion, even if I KNEW in my heart nothing was going to happen. I agree with the other poster here. Your husband should have had a picture in his wallet, lol! Don't feel bad about what you wrote or write at all!

Holly

Judy said...

Hi, just want you to know I love,love your blog. It is the first one I read. You are so open about your feelings,your kids,your struggles and victories. I feel I know you and your family and I can idenify with you on a lot of thing. I would miss you so much if you stopped blogging.
Hugs,
Judy

Judy said...

Hi, I just want to let you know how much I enjoy reading your blog everyday. It is the first one I read. You are so open about your everyday life, about your kids,your struggles and your victories. I feel like I know you and your family. I worried with you when Benjimen was overseas. I was sad when you miscarried. Happy with you about your weight loss victories. I would miss you very much if you stopped writing so I hope you will continue.
Hugs,
Judy

16 blessings'mom said...

Thank you Judy! Thank you Holly!

Tereza said...

I agree with everyone and ...my hubby has no idea where my blog is:) Its my hobby not his!! Ya he should totally get those pictures on his phone...thats what he gets for not doing that:):):)

I agree that I've never sensed you wrote too much about things that are private....your blog is the only blog that makes me wanna blog publicly because I love how new readers can pop by and read and get hooked...our everyday life is so fun to read about....but then I think of all my pictures and that scares me...