summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Tuesday, January 28, 2014

waking up to good things....

Mirielle is a nurse. She works at a small-ish hospital in a small city up north. She works the night shift. So when she gets a night off, she stays up, of course, because she has to sleep during the day so she can stay on schedule. I tried to stay up with her last night, I did try. But after my extremely short night the previous night, I was too tired and only watched part of the movie. When I woke up this morning, I saw....Paleo pumpkin muffins! yay! Nice and moist and pleasingly un-sweet.

It's nice to wake up to good things. On Sunday at church we heard a bit about the thoughts we think when we wake up in the morning. Oh, it's going to be a long day. And so on. Seriously, no one really likes to get out of their comfy bed and start the day, especially people like me who like the quiet of the night so much and stay up too late on a regular basis, making mornings even more challenging. But. The thoughts that I give in to can really set the tone for my day. When I believe that God only sends what is for my very best, and I decide to be thankful for all things, then I am prepared for a great day.

Of course there is a season for everything, and some trials are extremely challenging....but I am learning that when I trust God then too, things go well for me. One can never go wrong by being thankful.

Tomorrow, I am bringing both Suri and Duke to the vet. Suri is having pre-surgery bloodwork to be spayed, Duke is having some shots and will be evaluated to see if he is too old to be neutered. I know it will be costly, but we love these dogs, and don't want to see Suri go through another pregnancy, even though she would probably be fine. They are good dogs around the house, but taking them out to the vet...together....I hope they don't pull our arms off and bark at everyone. I could have made separate appointments but the vet is too far away. So hopefully those two will behave themselves.

Paul will be home on Thursday!

And, now I shall go and start on my housework. No matter how much I prepare myself, I always find lots of complaining when I clean the house. Ugh, the things I find! I mean, seriously? Spoons under the couch? How many double A batteries can we own? Barrettes and pennies and stray socks under the couch....when I wash the dishes, I scrub the mugs that held tea or coffee or cocoa, and wonder why they can't just rinse them when they put them in the sink, like I asked them to a million times? And for heaven's sake, if you brush your teeth, rinse out the sink! Hang up your sweatshirt! Who left candy wrappers on the computer table? A banana peel on the coffee table? really? And don't even get me started about asking who did it, no one did. So yes, I am aware that I will get tempted to much grumbling today. And all the reasons may be perfectly legit, but in spite of that, I will get victory today! I will remain thankful, and let God do a work in me!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can truly say Ditto to every word in that wise last paragraph!

Diane Fit to the Finish said...

We don't have nearly the family size you do (just 7 kids) but I feel as though I have so many household chores!

Remembering my blessings helps me do them with a good attitude. It's great to meet you through the blogging world!

16 blessings'mom said...

Simone, after all the work I did yesterday, this morning...what the heck? It just doesn't stay clean! But through the years I have found myself, at different times, getting naggy and witchy about the housework, so I have to really work hard at having a good attitude. Diane, hello! Don't say, "just seven kids". Seven is a good sized family!!! My sister has seven girls, and it is a busy life. It's great to meet you, too:)

Tereza said...

Oh how I can relate!!