summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Tuesday, March 17, 2015

the dreaded phone call...but all is okay.....

I suppose I am a drama queen, and get too upset too quickly. Now that I realize that nothing is wrong, it is very clear that I overreacted. But when the phone rang and it was the state police...asking about, "a vehicle registered to a Paul W., that was found...blah blah blah..." I looked out the window. All cars accounted for except for Paul's truck. I told the nice policeman that Paul had driven his truck to work. He asked where he worked. By now I was bracing myself for bad news. The scariness bypassed all reason, assuming I have any reason, and went straight to the pit of my stomach, but shot out adrenaline down my arms to make my hands shake, along the way. Then I realized that he was saying the vehicle was parked near a bar...a bar? Paul? What? Apparently it was illegally parked, and the owner was going to tow it. I asked if it was there right now, and he said he didn't know. hmm. I asked if it was perhaps on NoName Rd., and he said, yes, it was. Okay. I figured it out....

My daughter lives close to a bar. It's a country-ish bar, does get a little rabble-rousy on the weekends, and in the warm weather, the patrons play horseshoes outside. Parking is limited, as it is in Emily's driveway, but she and her roommates know not to park at the bar. There is another business farther down the road, which apparently calls the cops if one parks there...the business owners assumed a bar patron was parked there...but it was one of my daughters who was visiting Emily's house for girls' fellowship. Yes, they were gathered to have fun and encourage each other to faithfulness...last night. The owners called the police, and the police checked out the plates, and called me. okay.

Now that it is straightened out, and I promised Officer Friendly that my daughters would not park there ever again, it is rather funny. But the first few moments of the call had me unraveling.

We are out of cat food. I can't believe that all the people around here who feed the kitties couldn't think to let me in on the fact that the bag was getting low. Now we are totally out. We are also almost out of raw spinach. We have switched from iceburg lettuce to romaine to eating almost all spinach for salads.

Anyway, I guess I am going out and about a little bit. I have a package to mail to Washington State too, some clothes for Miss Anya, my little granddaughter. Have I mentioned that they are coming east in June? Yes they are! She gets to ride on a big airplane, and come to see her Grammy! I hope she isn't scared of me. I hope she lets me cuddle her. If not, I will still enjoy her absolute cuteness, as will all her aunties and uncles. Samuel may not be able to get the time off to come up to the camp we are renting on an Adirondack lake...that breaks my heart. Apparently in the Old Guard, they are a smallish unit, and aren't supposed to ask for time off in the summer. Sam and Ben haven't been together in a year and a half. wah.

Off I go....

3 comments:

mommeeof10 said...

You could go camping closer to DC.
Shenandoah Nation Park is nice, as are Andy Guest, Shenandoah River state park and Sky Meadow State Park. Bull Run County park also has Camping. http://www.nvrpa.org/park/bull_run/content/camping is about 40 minutes West of DC.

Martha said...

Your "nice police officer" story reminds me of one I got last summer when son #5 and his girlfriend parked along a wooded country road and went for a walk. Apparently "Nice Mr. Policema" thought it was suspicious and went in search of the suspects who subsequently returned to their vehicle. According to testimony, they looked for said "Nice Mr. Policeman" who was now taking a walk of his own in the woods. When "Nice Mr. Policeman" did not appear, the suspects, who committed no illegal activity, got into the vehicle and drove away. That's when I was called upon to incriminate my son, which I did not. Those "nice" policemen are not always very nice and I have learned not to give them more information than is necessary.

I am looking forward to a tentative visit from my faraway grandson round about the end of may.

16 blessings'mom said...

Martha, wow! And it isn't wise to be a smart-you-know-what, because they do have the advantage, aka the badge. Once I forgot I had my face painted as a clown...and I was driving a huge van full of kids...and was illegally parked while the oldest few ran in to pick up the pizzas..it WAS Halloween...but the cop did not think it was funny at all when he approached the van and I asked sarcastically if there was a problem...I totally forgot my face was painted. oops. We already rented a camp on an Adirondack lake...Ben and his wife wouldn't want to drive to D.C. after flying from Washington state...and she has family in the area...but thanks for the tip, I will pass it on to my other kids who will be visiting the D.C. son in the next few months...