summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Tuesday, November 6, 2018

jumping in! diving! taking the plunge!

Have you ever bought supplies for a project, then never even started the project? me neither, ha.

Okay, I did. Grand plans. I remember a bumper sticker that said, "Whoever Dies With The Most Fabric Wins!"

Well, I HAVE the paint for the bathroom counters. Today, I'm going to Hobby Lobby to get the finish, the Envirotex.

The faucets are installed, thanks to my son-in-law Adrian, Margaret's husband. (He is amazing, he's the one who put our new metal roof on.) Those faucets rode around in the back of the minivan for weeks, because I was considering returning them, as they cost a bit too much. Then Adrian found out I had them, and kaboom, he installed them, and I am so glad I kept them.

Since I am going on a trip this weekend (Virginia to see Sam and Grace and baby Grant), and hopefully into D.C. for some sight-seeing!), I hope to get this project done so it can dry over the weekend...the kids left at home have plans and won't be here much, and can perhaps wash their hands in the kitchen or one of the other bathrooms, and maybe the kitty cats can please stay off the counter.

Anyway, I do have big plans, and most of the time, also small children. Today, it's just Charlotte Claire, Camille, and me. Jonathan went hunting with Paul, Kathryn and Evelyn went to work, the high school girls went got on that bus this morning (as opposed to yesterday when they were ALMOST ready, so I drove them).

But first, before he went out to the rainy woods with his bow, Paul took me on a special little date...


Honestly, I didn't feel like going out into the chilly rainy morning, yet in the midst of the grumbling attitude, I stopped short and realized how thankful I should be that I get to vote.

Anyway anyway, we are headed to Hobby Lobby. Lydia comes tomorrow, and Anne, so we won't get much done then, but today, we are free to roam about the country, and maybe even start some painting. I'll try to get better pics of the walls in that bathroom, I loved the color oh about five years ago. The bedroom renovation is in a process, as Jonathan is a busy kid, ice skating and playing hockey and Norwegian lessons, homeschool. He is in his new room, but his old room has a few hundred pounds of stuff left to be sorted. We are washing clothes and sorting what goes to the thrift store, what stays, and what can be given away. As the youngest boy, he inherited all of the Legos and Rescue Heroes, train sets and Tonka trucks, plus he has a collection of Hess trucks. What to keep? Where to put it all? ugh.

One of the girls was helping sort, and threw away some five cent deposit seltzer bottles. I said to please open the bags and take those out, and lo and behold, Jon found an x-box controller, which was NOT trash. oh dear.

Anyway. The early years, the middle years, the years where we had teenagers and small children and babies, all the years we've lived here, this particular bedroom has been in use, heavy use, and the carpet is just shot. My older kids had this creepy crawly machine when they were little, which you squirted these colored plastics into molds and made creatures, which was NOT supposed to be used in the bedroom...and markers, marker stains. It's just old and steaming and vacuuming won't help anymore, so it's getting torn up, thrown away, and the new laminate will be installed.

Little by little, we get things done.

I remember painting the kitchen years ago, when we had small children. The toddler woke from her nap, and I was finishing up...but not quickly enough! She put both hands in the paint pan...

Ah well...I have two animae-manga readers here, two girls who are doing some sort of marshal arts here in the living room. Time to go.

2 comments:

Carol said...

I have paint for my kitchen and my office, but it has been here for many months. With a three year old in the house most days who can find time to paint!

Anonymous said...

Hi there! This blog post couldn't be written any better!
Looking through this article reminds me of my previous roommate!
He constantly kept preaching about this. I will forward this post to him.
Fairly certain he will have a great read. Many thanks
for sharing!