summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Friday, November 16, 2018

snow day!!!!







First a two hour delay, then school was cancelled. Paul still had to go to work, and of course there wasn't gas for the snowblower, so he had to shovel out. I went out and helped, but oh dear that snow is deep and heavy. The kids are going out there later and we'll get it done.

Abigail is taking Charlotte Claire and Camille to Connecticut this weekend to visit friends, and they're taking a train to New York City tomorrow. So this afternoon, I have to bring the girls to Ab's work, so she doesn't have to backtrack. I do not like driving in the snow...

Let's see...Lydia has spent the week here, pretty much. Her mama had a root canal done yesterday, and is working her last night shift tonight, then starts regular Monday through Friday next week. Yesterday, Kathryn took her to McDonald's to play on the playground there (indoors!), with Char and Cam. She also brought her to Walmart and bought her a Barbie:)

I picked Sonja up from school, and brought her and Jonathan for physicals. We then went to Home Depot for light bulbs, a door knob for Sonja's closet, and new drawer/cabinet handles for the bathroom, although I think I got the wrong ones. And spray paint for some door knobs.

Then to Aldi, for a pizza to put in the oven when we got home, and for some fresh chicken wings, as well as a few Christmas countdown calendars with chocolate behind the little doors, eggs, milk, cheese, bananas, and a cute little trash can for the bathroom.

Here is my tale of woe, concerning trying to lose a few pounds...a few, as in fifty or so, ha. So, I give up sugar, work out every day, mostly, avoid carbs like the plague, and slowly by slowly, lose five pounds. Up a little, down a little, down a little more, and wow, five pounds down. The, last weekend happened. Now, I'm not going to lie, I could have eaten much much more. I was careful, but here's the thing: my metabolism does not allow for cheating anymore. I had tortilla chips with my healthy Chipotle food, and with my healthy Moe's food...AND I had some Norwegian chocolate, as well as that yummy bakery visit. I had a small molasses cookie, and tastes of lots of things, equal to like a second cookie. That's it. No ice cream, no sandwiches. Oh, and I had one slice of pizza on Saturday night, the smallest one in the box. Five pounds came back. A lot must have been water weight, because this morning, four of it are gone. I'm the same weight I was three weeks ago. Ugh. I know this isn't the weight I'm supposed to be at, but oh dear, it's a battle. It seems like I give up so much for so little change, but then I think of how I would be if I didn't do that...:)

It's my lot in life, I suppose. All those pregnancies, and all the things I craved: oatmeal, Cheerios...toast. Tomato sandwiches. Pizza. The morning sickness, the fatigue. I would get one small child to sleep through the night just in time to welcome a new baby, and the total lack of sleep that came with him or her, and who cares about not eating a stack of cookies when they're exhausted? I have good excuses! Really good ones! Here's another one: I don't like to waste food, so I would eat things the kids didn't want. What? You can't throw away that ice cream cone! Give it to me!

Anyway. Here I am on a Friday morning, a snow day, no kids up yet to celebrate it.

Jonathan is all moved in to his new room. The room he moved out of has the carpet torn up, and the walls spackled and sanded. Today, paint the ceiling, the walls, the trim...then put down the new laminate flooring. We are having company next week, and really want to get the room done. A snow day will be the perfect time!

My bathroom counter...oh dear. I asked Paul to caulk around the sinks, and it looks sloppy, but when I caulked along the back of the counter, I realized how hard it is to do it neatly, and I apologized for critiquing him. After I put all of our junk back on the counter, it isn't as noticeable, and it IS nicer than the burgundy, but I am no picture-perfect DIY-er.

Although it is swirling through my mind to do the kitchen counters sometime...

And spray paining the bright gold door knobs black: I can't wait! It's too cold out, and I don't want to do it in the house, but yay, what a good idea!

Shelves to put up, and flooring to put down...the kitchen is on the list...and the foyer, new carpet on the stairs and new flooring, and the ceiling painted, and Paul is going to take the brassy gold chandelier down so I can clean it up and paint it...not sure if I'll do it a chalky old fashioned white, or a bronzy-black...the walls painted, it's going to be sweet.

See, I figured I'm not going to win the lottery. I'm not going to move into a brand spanking new house. I'm not going to hire the Property Brothers or Joanna G. to come here and VOILA, turn this place into WOW. So, I choose to make the most of things, and work on doing what I can to make it nice here. Not magazine nice, but comfortable nice.

There are so many exciting things going on around here. Thanksgiving at Ben's next week! Making pies! I am making apple, blueberry, and pumpkin. Tell me, how on earth am I supposed to lose weight? I will gain ten pounds just looking at those pies. And Grace's dad is making us a pecan pie, Margaret and Evelyn are making chocolate pie. Homemade whipped cream. Then the dinner...mashed potatoes with gravy? Stuffing? (with gravy, of course!) The rolls with butter? I am doomed. But nope, I'll drink a huge glass of water before dinner, and be a good girl. Oh dear....






3 comments:

An American Housewife said...


Good Morning!

Sorry to hear you are bummed about the up and down weight. When/if you want to low by cutting out sugar and counting carbs, you really can't cheat (well some can, and guys seem to be able to easier than women. Our darn metabolisms!). To get into ketosis and stay there is how you will lose the weight. BUT even 1 stick of gum with sugar in it is enough to knock you out - a molasses cookie can knock you out for a week.

For the pies you are wishing you could have - I do have a flourless/sugar free pie crust I use and of course you have to be careful with the filling. Fruit has sugar, but I make a sugar free pecan pie that is low carb friendly.

The beans in the Moe's would have been really high carb - and the corn tortilla chips? Well, your body turns starch to sugar so that is why corn and potatoes aren't allowed.

You might want to keep some sugar free Hersey's chocolate in your cupboard to quell those cravings and check out all the amazing recipe sites there are now to get incredible recipes from. But... again, if you choose to follow sugar free and low carb, you just can't cheat. LOL.

16 blessings'mom said...

I did keto faithfully for a bit a few years back, and lost 13 pounds, but then stalled out. It helped tremendously with hot flashes though! I don't eat beans at all, my Moe's food was all good except for these tortilla chips, which I know turn to sugar, but sometimes they are just good. I have made some really good pumpkin cheesecake with almond flour butter crust and no sugar, it's yummy. I might just make one. It's all in staying the course, enduring...it's the only way.

Marilyn said...

Hi Della...........the ‘battle of the bulge’ is always a battle I think. I get fed up sometimes and think I have to live too. Anyway, my blood has been awful so I had to do something. I joined Weight Watchers ............ it’s all done on line and soooooo easy to follow. I also go to a meeting once a week, but you don’t have to. It’s cheaper if you just do it yourself. I have lost 9 lbs in 6 weeks, but I have really stuck to it. The program is completely different now..........I’m a lifetime member from years ago. I’m really enjoying it and not finding it hard at all...not feeling deprived. It may not be for everyone, but it sure is working for me. Your bathroom looks great! Jon is probably happy with his room too. Like you said it all takes time and money! You are getting there though, one step at a time! Have a great Thanksgiving! We’ve already had our ps in Canada.

Marilyn from Canada