summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Wednesday, January 9, 2019

one misty moist-y morning, when cloudy was the weather....

Yesterday we had a coating of ice all over the roads, the cars, the deck...school was delayed for two hours. In the city, three snow plows went off the road. But the air warmed, the ice melted, and we had a nice dark cloudy day. I went out in the afternoon with Suzanne, leaving Sonja here to babysit because it was the best option...going to the grocery store with the small children would be fun, but the two year old in Aldi last week...um, no.

So before the snow, we went out to the small city...we picked up Emily's clarinet. She had it re-corked and fixed up, because Camille is learning to play it. Then the grocery store, to stock up on apples and bananas, chicken and burger, milk and bread, a big bag of kitty chow, eggs and pepperoni, and peanut butter and coffee.

Today the snow rolls in, and oh dear is it gloomy out right now. Dark and cozy. I rather love it.

Lydia is here, and Anne will be coming soon. They still have a huge fort set up in the corner, we play with play dough and color, and get out dollhouse stuff. They do keep busy. Yesterday there were a few tantrums, and I wondered at my lot in life, but no one ever said life was supposed to be easy.

Being older and dealing with young children is different. I have the privilege of not just KNOWING how fleeting the days are, I have actually experienced it. My three older children are 34, 32, 30...the years passed like a vapor, and sometimes I still see them when they were toddlers, or remember when one was sick, so sick and so needy, And I wish I could go back I in time and spend more time with that little one. I have memories of them as their newborn selves, and flashes of Emily singing, "Skinamarink-a-dink-a-dink-, skin-a-merink-a-doo...", and of Abigail losing a tooth...

Anyway, as a grandma, and as a babysitter for little ones, I KNOW how precious the moments are, and I'm not so likely to wish the days away. I'm quicker to drop the broom for a cuddle, and I know story time is a better choice than reading my own book.

I can't control much in this world, but in my little corner here, I can give up my own will and wants, and bless and comfort. I don't have a degree, and I am no fashion model, and don't look in my laundry room, but my life has worth when I am faithful in the little things.

4 comments:

Marilyn said...

Hi Della! We had an icy day a while back and I chose to stay at home. There were accidents galore all over the city and the freeways were treacherous! You have heaps of patience I think, looking after 2 little ones. I think I’m well past that now though, but I’m about 25 years older than you! Older than dirt😂😂 I love the sound of the clarinet......... good for Camille........learning a musical instruments is a wonderful thing I think. Expands the brain. Well we are all packed up and have some things in the back of my SUV 🚙 already, ready to rumble tomorrow. The weather is looking good for our trip and the weather in Arizona is about 68 F today. Sounds great to me after the last few days here! Our dogs are watching every move we make.....they know something is happening. Have a great day........I’ll send you some sunshine 🌞

Marilyn from Canada

Tereza said...

I was just thinking of this same thing today. Of how I would worry less about the house and relax with the kids more if i did the whole babies and toddlers thing all over again!! I was conscious of it then too but like you said I've seen the years go by which makes a difference!!

Do you babysit full time?

Anonymous said...

You know your grandkids can watch the Elephant Show on youtube. Sharon and Brahm just retired the other one did 10 years ago. :'( they don't have good singing shows for kids like they did in the 80s and early 90s. Enjoy your snow, we have 50s here as you may know from your traveling daughter.

Erika

16 blessings'mom said...

Marilyn, I hope you have a really nice journey! I'm just picturing the doggies, knowing something is going on. They are so smart. Our pups go to the dump with Paul on Saturday mornings, and they just go crazy, not that they even get out there ha. He sometimes takes them to the park after though, so I guess they're ever hopeful. Traveling is fun, and I'm glad you get to go to warm weather for a bit!
Tereza, yes, I babysit for 3 year old Lydia full time, Monday through Friday, but she also spends the night at least one night a week, to lessen the commutes for her mama, and so she doesn't have to get roused from her warm bed all five mornings. She slept here last night because we're getting hit with lots of snow. I have 2 year old Anne usually 2-3 days a week but Anna O., who watches her the other days (college schedule), is on vacation in Florida with Emily, so I have had her every day. Now Anna is engaged, so who knows how often I'll have Anne...:)
Erika, good to know! They don't watch much, but sometimes when they get tired and it's not nap time yet, it's so nice to let them chill...:). It's cold and snowy here...single digits on Friday...