summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Tuesday, January 29, 2019

well....

I may as well. My girls got me a gift certificate to get my hair done, for Christmas. Not to get my hair done for Christmas though ha. I have gone to Super-Cuts twice in my life, the first time before Margaret's wedding. My younger years my mom cut my hair, then I trimmed my own.

So I am going to get a hair cut, and shh, some highlights. My girls just wanted me to have that experience, to do something for myself. I considered using the gift card to get an inexpensive haircut then one for Cam, maybe one for Char, but that's not what they intended...so on Thursday afternoon, I'm headed to the salon. I don't know for sure what I want, I'll be one of those nightmare customers. But I am rather excited about it.

Today, we are headed to the library before the snow starts in again. The ground is covered, it's Christmas card-y out there still. But tonight, oh the polar air rolls in, and tomorrow, brr! Single digits with wind-chills well below zero. And tomorrow Anne will be here again, so we won't be venturing out. I mean, 6 degrees (-14c) with wind...nah. (With Anne AND Lydia! nah.)

I actually had a really good night's sleep. Most nights I wake up at four or five and toss and turn, sometimes falling back into a delicious sleep right when it's time to get up. But last night, I woke up at two, and was so delighted that it was still so early, I fell back to sleep...it was nice.

Ashley came over with Elise and Anya, for the afternoon and dinner, yesterday. Lydia delights in her cousin Anya, they are besties. Anne was pretty excited to have friends over too.


We had spaghetti and meatballs for dinner. I don't eat pasta anymore, so I had cauliflower rice, and canned green beans with sauce and meatballs.

We were supposed to have lasagna. I made an extra one a few weeks ago and put it in the freezer. Imagine my puzzlement when I couldn't fine it. Jonathan looked first, and uh-hum, when your kid can't find something, you get all huffy, jeepers, I know it's there, Jon. I sent him looking twice. Okay, I'll get it myself, I KNOW it's there. Well. It wasn't. Turns out someone was rumpling through the freezer, maybe looking for a stray corn dog or ice cream bar, and took that yummy lasagna out, and set it on a stack of camping supplies...and left it there accidentally. I found it sitting there, warm and thawed, and headed for the garbage-i0. dang it. I don't like wasting food, and now I had to make something else for dinner. We had already made two loaves of homemade bread to go with it.

The smell of baking bread, oh heavenly yum. I did try a little bit, mmm. Camille likes kneading the dough, and of course Lydia has to help. Anne saw them at the counter stools, and was like, "I want dinner, I want dinner!", which gave her the idea of pancakes. She wanted pancakes. And once she gets an idea, ha, I made her pancakes.

It's so windy out, so dark and foreboding, I'm not sure I want to venture out to the library.

I am pretty excited to go to Mexico, leaving at 3 a.m. Saturday morning. We should land in Cancun by 2. The weather there in February is very pleasant. Our resort is an hour south of Cancun, a few thunderstorms the first afternoon we're there, maybe continuing to Sunday morning, then...sunshine all week, high in the low eighties. Ah, sunshine!!!!

It's not easy to just step out of my regular daily life and go on vacation. There are so many details to take care of...dogs, children, babysitting responsibilities, menus and food for those at home, taking care of the doggies, etc. I still have to pack, ha poor me.

I never did lose those fifty pounds, but alas it could be worse. At least I didn't gain fifty pounds, and I have no doubt that could have easily happened.

I ordered a few new dresses from Amazon, which is totally out of my comfort zone, to not try something on. Only one arrived so far, and I LOVE it!!! It's a simple sleeveless swing dress with pockets, so comfy, and it covers a multitude of sins ha. But oh my upper arms...they jiggle and flop and if I fell off a cliff I could prob fly with these wings of mine. I detest them. But I'll be danged if I wear a cover up beside the pool or at the beach in Mexico. Because, no one else really cares. I actually don't care, but I sort of do, make sense? I don't plan to wear shorts, but bathing suits and sundresses. I do have one pair of old-lady capris...

Anyway...I'm super excited for sunshine, and relaxation. I've never been to Mexico...I read there are cenotes right across the highway from our resort...deep, naturally formed swimming holes with salt water on the bottoms and fresh water on the top, really cool. In one, you can swim through a tunnel into a fresh air pocket...um, no! Sounds like a nightmare to me! We'll be really close to some of the ruins too, but I'm not inclined to go on any excursions. When it's 80+ degrees and humid, I'll stay by the pool or on the beach, thanks.

Okay...time to decide if we're going out and about or hunkering down and staying home...


y

2 comments:

Marilyn said...

Della.........you are going to LOVE Mexico. It is beautiful down there. How lovely of your girls to give you such a thoughtful gift for Christmas! You are going to looks fabulous with your new ‘do’ and your new dresses 🤗 And no one but you will know if you a few pounds overweight AND no one will care!! You will have a fantastic time. Don’t forget to take Imodium.........in case of Montazuma’s revenge 😬 Always be prepared I always say. I travel with a arsenal of stuff. The little girls are so cute in their dress up clothes.......just the best. Have a great day!

Marilyn from Canada


Carol said...

The grand doll and I stayed home all day today and we will be here the next couple of days as well. With the cold they are predicting, I don't care to be out and about. I will be glad to see the 40's they are predicting for next week.