summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Saturday, July 27, 2019

cashing it in....



So our trip to Norway is something that Charlotte Claire and Camille have saved for, for years! They have set aside Christmas and birthday money, cash from bottles and cans, and saved up coins. Yesterday, Camille and I cashed in the coins, and brought back bottles and cans. The girls had lots of rolled coins, which we brought to the bank, and lose change, which we dumped into the change machine at Walmart. $66 dollars, mostly pennies, nickel, and dimes. But the machine takes 11.9%, so next time, we roll all of it.

Bottles and cans: $29!

The girls will use this money for spending money while we're there, so they can get ice cream, go to the candy store, get food, ect.

It's a big trip. I am excited, nervous, apprehensive, but mostly happy. I do not like crowds, do not like going through security or customs. I'm the kind of girl who feels like I've done something wrong just seeing the black and white of a police car. I don't like long lines, because of, well, being heavy. My feet hurt, my knee hurts. I don't like when you have to hurry through an airport, I get hot and huffy and I can't keep my 30 pound purse from sliding repeatedly off my shoulder.

Going through security is almost hell-ish. We usually fly out of Syracuse, where the security people are all really nice. But some of those bigger airports, it reminds me, I hate to say, of the movies I've watched where the people are getting off the trains at the concentration camps, all shocked and scared, and they're being relieved of their luggage and ordered into lines. I know, this is nothing like that was, and the Political Correct police will be knocking at my door, but it still reminds me of it. When you're going through security, taking your shoes off as fast as you can, getting your electronics into a separate bin, taking your sweater off, while being barked at to HURRY, HURRY, SCARF OFF TOO! In essence, you are being treated like a criminal, guilty until proven innocent. And for some reason, I'm always the one who gets patted down, my fingers swabbed for gun powder residue, my suitcase searched.

And I'm a law abiding citizen. I don't even take a Tylenol unless I can't function, so I wouldn't have illegal drugs. I take potassium and magnesium, vitamin D, and fish oil. That's it. As for the rest of it, seriously? Do I look like a threat?

Anyway. I've had some bad traveling experiences too, like when Paul and I went to Dominican, and I developed the migraine from you-know-where on the plane. All through the airport, then onto the transport bus to the resort, I couldn't even speak up to ask the driver to pull over, because if I opened my mouth...then it happened, I barfed right into my jean jacket. I did. Right on the bus. I felt momentarily better, but as soon as we got checked in and to our room, I barfed my brains out, it was a horrible migraine. I got one when I flew to Seattle one time, too, so I get kind of nervous, they don't seem to have rhyme or reason.

So I'll avoid, carbs, and sugar, and try to hydrate, and try not to get anxious. Because it's a HUGE trip for Camille, and we can make it all fun. Even the inevitable pat-down, I guess...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Had to chuckle when you said you hate crowds and your house is often crowded and you gave birth to a crowd. (well kinda) ;) I won't call the PC police, but I will be praying for you and family during your travels. Before to because we know God will go before you.

Have a blessed weekend.

Erika

Michelle in Florida said...

Oh, migraines are horrible! I throw up sometimes too when I get them, yuck. I hope you feel good on your trip this time and don't get any headaches. I usually take Motrin at the first sign of a headache (and sometimes have caffeinated coffee or tea with it)....sometimes that helps. Anyway, good luck and enjoy your trip! :)

Anonymous said...

Wishing you a very safe, stress-free, uneventful (at least at airports!) and fun trip! What memories with so many of you going. Worth every penny and more.

Simone

16 blessings'mom said...

Erika, that is rather ironic, isn't it? But the wall to wall people, being in claustrophobic lines, ugh. And traffic! Driving to JFK in New York City, dang. I won't be driving, unless one of them puts a gun to my head. Sorry, that's not really P. C. either. But thank you, in all sincerity, for good thoughts and prayers.

Michelle, thank you. I try to keep really hydrated on the flight, and hope I'm not in the middle seat near a stranger, because what goes in must come out. Once I was on a red-eye from Seattle, all alone, and I had my period, sitting in the middle seat. The poor guy on the end, probably thought I had the trots, I had to get up every hour..one of those pre-menopausal monster periods.

Simone, thank you! It's going to be an adventure, all right!!!