summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Wednesday, July 17, 2019

sweet! a rainy day!

...and out and about we go...to Target!

My daughter Kathryn, and her husband Darius, who live in Oregon, are expecting their first baby! They got married in February, and baby is due December 1st. :). They are having a sonogram today to find out the gender, my sixth grandchild. (Anya and Elise, Lydia, Grant, Wulf). I am waiting to buy baby clothes! And Mali and her husband Josh are expecting a baby in January! I do love being a Grandma...and Lydia is so excited to be a big sister!


Today's crew. It's been a day, I'll tell you. Sonja had physical therapy at 9:30, and it's been constant errands all day. I did take them to Taco Bell, but a few chose McDonalds...they get the dollar menu stuff. I resisted, oh it's hard.

Summer days, rainy or not, are fantabulous.

Tonight, we are having taco salad. I am fasting, doing one or two meals a day, trying to get my insulin resistance to crack, trying to burn those fats, and this fat. The weight loss is very slow, but it is happening. From what I've read, eating less on a fasting regimen doesn't lead to a stall in metabolism rate the way just lower calories do. I hope it's true. I've tried so hard through the years, I decided to go all in for this Keto/intermittent fasting way, and stick to it until Christmas, and see what happens. What I HOPE happens is at least fifty pounds of weight loss.

There will be a few cheats, like the wine tour in August, and you know, a little bit of Norwegian chocolate when we're there. But none of this Off The Rails stuff.

So today, I haven't eaten since yesterday's dinner, which was bacon and eggs. Lunch yesterday was a salad from Wendy's, which I had remembered as a healthy option. I don't do blue cheese, or dressings for the most part, because I'm picky and don't like them. So I had a bunch of lettuce, grilled chicken, and pecans, which I know have sugar on them but oops. I skipped most of the craisins, even though I love them. I also skipped most of the apple chunks.

Today I decided to skip lunch, so dinner is sounding really good right now.

Sonja, Jonathan, and Evelyn and Emily, and Charlotte Claire, are leaving for Norway on Tuesday. Camille and I are going to be rattling around like peas in a pod for a week, until we leave ourselves.

We've been stocking up on healthy-ish bars (Quest), and some Mac and cheese cups and oatmeal cups for the kids to eat there, and TicTacs and gum and Skittles for their bags for the traveling. I also am bringing cashews, almonds, beef jerky, and the individual peanut butter cups. Not the Reeses candy, the little things of peanut butter, portion sized. But oh dear, Norwegian chocolate dipped into those...oh dear.

I wish I wasn't so in love with food. There are actually people out there who are indifferent to eating. People who think marshmallows are gross, or those licorice Good and Plenty's aren't excellence in a box. There are people who don't like circus peanuts, those marshmallow nail polish remover tasting delights. Kettle corn, caramel corn, cheese popcorn! yes please. Caramels, toffee, taffy? yup. Chocolate covered mints, chocolate covered anything, oh yeah. Chocolate with almonds, with hazelnuts, with sea-salt, mmm. Skittles I could pass up, Starburst too, but if I had some, I would love them. Banana Laffy Taffy? mmm-hmm. Licorice, red or black or anything in between, affirmative. And let's not get into the donuts, cakes, muffins, cookies, pastries, breads...or pies. We'll leave pies right where they are, and won't even start drooling for them. All of them. Coconut cream? Pumpkin? Apple? Blueberry, homemade with butter crust? oops.

Anyway. It will never be easy, not for me. Soft ice cream, scoops of ice cream, never going to despise it.

But just because I love it doesn't mean I need to eat it.

I wish for a huge serving of self control, with a side of indifference, with a scoop of the attitude, "it's just too sweet", for dessert.

I'd like a tall glass of motivation.

But here's the thing: I don't feel like doing this, but I know it's best for me. I need to stay far away from type II diabetes. My poor mom, before she passed away, the bottom of her feet were turning black, and she could barely walk. She was on kidney dialysis for nine years. She suffered so much. If I can avoid this, it's worth it.

It's not because I want to wear shorts without dying of embarrassment, or fit into a bathing suit that's not a bathing dress. I just want to feel good, and be able to move! To enjoy life, and go on adventures!

Anyway, if you have questions about intermittent fasting/Keto, and the reversal of fatty liver, type II diabetes, insulin resistance...read some of Dr. Jason Fung's stuff.

6 comments:

T.L. said...

hi Della,
congratulations to your daughters on the upcoming babies! how exciting!

I love your description of the food and diet struggle.. I have been batteling my weight for a good 6 months now, only to loose about 10 lbs. I had a bit of fun for Bastille Day and ... back up 4 lbs. It is so hard to battle every pound for weeks on and just see them come back in an instant. but I can't give up, I have 50 more lbs to lose.
I'll take a tall glass of motivation with you.

Susan said...

Hi Della, When you were listing all of the junk type foods it made me realize that it seems you no longer work at the concession stand, is that correct? Maybe you;are just too busy with extra babysitting.
I am looking forward to seeing the photos and hearing about your trip to Norway!
♥️♥️♥️♥️Susan

Michelle in FL said...

More grandchildren, yay! Congrats! I just found out we will be having our first grandchild in February! So exciting! Good luck with the intermittent fasting/keto, hope it works well for you.

16 blessings'mom said...

Tiphaine, it IS a battle! Our bodies are too smart, we cut calories, they decide they don't need as many. Then we eat one thing we used to eat, and bam. So that's why I'm trying the intermittent fasting and the Keto. I did eat a slice of Ezekial toast with peanut butter today, and oh dear it was good.

Susan, our church still works at the college concession stand for football, basketball, lacrosse games, plus Monster Jam and a few other things. I didn't work one single game this past season because of my knee, it's concrete flooring, plus the arena is on a hill...the other events we worked, last summer, at the amphitheater, the concerts: we decided not to do that this year because of the excessive drinking, poor management, ect. Aramark runs the concessions, they supply food to prisons and school districts, as well as hospitals and nursing homes across the country. They treated our group very badly. So we really have the summer off...

Michelle, congratulations!!!!

Stacet Claire said...

Della
Stick with the Intermittent fasting because it does work....I was skeptical for the longest time and my scale would not move (I am approaching 60) I did a little research and jumped in. My first week was SUPER difficult but then I started to like how I was feeling. It took my body maybe a week and a half to understand what I was doing and then the weight started to come off..I am averaging maybe 2 to 2 1/2 pounds a week for weight loss and I couldn't be happier. I am now doing one meal a day and pretty much eat whatever I want..It is NOT a diet but a way of eating and it works!!!
Good luck to you!!!
Congratulations on all the new babies!!!
Stacey

16 blessings'mom said...

Stacet Claire, thank you for taking the time to encourage me! I've been struggling here for years, losing a few pounds then gaining them back, so that the 70 pound loss has been shrinking to 50, then to 45, then as it inched to 40, I KNEW I had to change things up. All that work, and it's not like I was eating nearly as much as I used to blissfully chomp through, back when I was hopelessly complacent. So now I am only 20 pounds away from that lowest weight (50 pounds down, after originally being 70). I still have a long way to go. It's strange to me that I can actually eat one meal a day and not be so shaky and scatterbrained, I think that's a sign that I'm switching over to be a fat burner. Please, keep in touch, keep me updated! I read success stories for encoragement, and I can't always relate to the young pre-menopausal women with the grand metabolisms, the ones who give up their daily six pack of soda...