summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Friday, April 14, 2023

pretending it's summer....

 ...bare feet, little pool on the deck, ice cubes in the freezer...(our ice cube maker doesn't work, so we always have trays of ice cubes, but when I'm feeling extra extravagant, I'll buy a bag of ice and put it in the ice cube dispenser...the clear cubes are a treat.  Ours, with our iron rich well water, even with an iron filter, and with a tap filter, are not so clear...but they're healthy, right?)

Yesterday I spray painted a previously yellow, then painted blue, Little Tikes table, that we use on the deck.  I think it was black at some point too.  The paint was flaking off, it looked horrible...so I scrubbed it off and painted it a blue-gray that I had in the spray paint bin.  It looks remarkable.   I also spray painted one of my kitchen stools, and am very pleased with it.  A spontaneous decision, made when I found the ivory spray paint, primer & paint in one...hmm, that would touch up that counter stool...which was black when I bought it, and that black was starting to show through.  

Camille and I were going to go to the store to stock up on things for the weekend, but it was SO nice out! Sonja didn't have class, but she did have tons of work to do.  We put up the umbrella, so she could work out on the deck.  Cam and I decided by three o'clock that we'd had enough sun, and off to the store we went.  A bag of ground coffee to make iced coffee (the girls really like iced coffee when the weather gets warm, and since we're pretending it's summer...), the ice, some lunch meat, strawberries, bread, cheese, the basics.  

Since we are pretending it's summer, I also got lazy, and hungry, in the store.  We had already gone to Aldi, and were in Tops...Tops makes the best fried chicken.  It's just so good, and I could smell it, and I had not eaten anything yet, and it was warm and sunny and I wouldn't have to cook...so I bought some.  The girls had these elaborate rice bowls with mango that they had been planning on, with chicken, (I cannot eat tropical fruit at all, cannot digest it, horrible pain...).  I had a big salad with shredded cabbage, raw spinach, peppers, and a little dab of Aldi Asian Sesame dressing, then some chicken.  Well.  My stomach gurgled and my intestines rumbled, they took turns rumbling and gurgling, until...well, I'll spare you the lovely details, but hmm, I don't think I tolerate the raw cabbage?  

What a pleasant evening.  ugh.

But, I'm fine now, and it's dawning on me that that has happened before.  I should keep a food journal.

I did have a few squares of Norwegian chocolate last night. (six. two rows.)  Why I feel the need to confess this, is beyond me, but it is SO good. I would eat the entire bar with no problem, if it was good for me.  Some people are like, you just need a little bit of chocolate, too much and you feel awful.  I'm like:  must be nice.

This fine morning I'm off to the pool, yay! Another week making it all three days!  Barely.  We share cars, Paul works from home but also drives up to the house we're working on, he's going there today at 11:30, so I'll have time to swim.  Sonja has clinical today and tomorrow, so my car is gone from 7 a.m. to 8 p.m. both days.  

Speaking of my car:  so many miles on my nice new car.  And, look at that temp!  That was after driving for a bit, when I first got in, it was 89. ( I was nice and picked Miss Char up from school so she could get maximum time out in the nice weather.)(Sonja drives my nice car to college, it's what we can do to help her, so I can't complain, but...I'll be glad when she graduates and buys her own!)

I have to run, got to get out the door so I'm not the last one in the pool...walking in when everyone is in there is not fun, but of course it's always how it is...ugh.  



7 comments:

Deb said...

Ah yes, we have iron rich well water too. I love well water, grew up on it. 'City water' tastes so gross to me. And I love that you make your ice cubes, those trays in the freezer. We were constantly refilling ice cube trays while growing up, and my mom still does even now. I gave up a while ago and bought those colorful, reusable cubes. We don't use them much anyway.

Chocolate is my weakness. Or, well, it was. I have to be much more careful now, and Lily's bars are my go-to. I allow myself one row a day at most. But have you ever noticed how many people who live to be 100+ say the secret is to eat chocolate every day? lol

16 blessings'mom said...

Deb,I love our water, it comes ice cold out of the tap. It turns the sinks orange, and the white clothes... My husband is always getting village water or city water in gallon jugs, to make coffee with, I use our sink water that's been filtered in the PUR pitcher (we also have one on our sink faucet, for all the wimps here who don't love the water). The only reason I use the PUR water is because it gets the kettle all white and scaly enough, even filtered. But when I want a glass of water, I drink it unfiltered, love it. I think it makes the coffee taste extra good too. Chocolate is way too good, and I think those people who live to be 100+ have a teeny tiny bit more restraint than I do. They would've had one or two squares, not six. :)

Deb said...

I use a Britta filter/pitcher. Our water straight out of the faucet is verrrry nasty, smelly and 'iron rich.' For drinking, I use the Britta pitcher. For cooking or anything else, it's straight from the faucet. Yep, our sinks are orange and our whites get dingy. LOL My son, who lives in town, also uses a Britta filter but I can still taste the difference.

Michelle in FL said...

I don’t know about you, but I have never felt bad after eating “too much” chocolate! Other things like you mentioned, certain fruits & vegetables do bother my stomach though. That Norwegian chopped sounds delicious;)

Marilyn said...

Hi Della! Well aren’t you the lucky ones with the weather!! I’m jealous……… how lovely though. Pretend away!!

Chocolate is good for you so I’ve been told 🙄 so I'll go with that. Good for you getting to the pool 3 times! 👏👏 I can sympathize with the bellyache. I have similar problems with certain foods too! 😳😬

Have a wonderful weekend!!

Marilyn from Canada 🇨🇦

Terri D said...

Chocolate... oh my! Seems like summer has arrived for y'all. You are busy, as usual!! We have a new Aldi about five miles from my house. I've been once and liked what I saw. Just haven't been motivated to go again. Now I don't have a fridge in my kitchen until the part comes in to fix it. BLessed to have an extra one but now it is PACKED and my fingers are crossed that it stays on. Whew!

Linda said...

Grinning...it's always summer down here in Florida, lololol. I love Aldi and went there yesterday to just walk around, and yes, we did pick some things up. Have a beautiful week ahead, Della.