summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Saturday, March 21, 2009

almost done....

what a day it's been. It is after eleven, and the floor is almost done. The kids have beeen helping all day. Tearing up the old carpet was tough. I made a trip to town to borrow my brother's saw, then three trips to the city. Yes, three. I went for 12 more boxes of flooring. I took Samuel, who did not want to go with me. I sort of bribed him by stopping at Arby's and getting him a Roast Beef sandwich, and me a coffee....after that, and a little encouragement about being nicer to mom when she needs help, he was a lot better. I found out the reason he was so against going with me: he and Joseph had just borrowed a great video game...anyway, I got Handhewn Hickory instead of Hawthorne Hickory. Oops. I drove back, 15 miles, and exchanged it. Actually 16 year old Aaron with his permit drove back. Then home again.....then, we decide we really need a dustmop, and I decide to get some baskets for the videos, dvds, and bins for the extra fabric we have, so to town again. This time, Aaron drives again, and Mali goes with us. We have just too much fun. Here are Kathryn, Suzanne, and Paul.... Evelyn......

The floor is finished except for one strip near the wall. The kids thought it was great fun to slide on. Suze put Jonathan on a blanket, and was dragging him around, fun until he hit his head on the corner of the wall....

Margaret 12, and Evelyn 9, were the pizza makers tonight. I pretty much let them do it all. I have trouble being medium-ly helpful, if I start in, I tend to overmanage. So, I just let them do it. They had a few questions, but they did it all themselves. Suzanne even made one. Hers had pepperoni all around the edge, and some in the middle. Margaret made a hot-wing specialty, where she added chopped chicken nuggets to a hotsauce/butter mixture, and topped it with cheese and bacon. It was superb. There was a garlic/butter/cheese pizza that was so garlicky, I don't even like myself right now. Then a black olive, bacon, green pepper, pepperoni, sauce,cheese....pretty good. The kitchen is still full of stuff that belongs in the living room, so the kids ate at the coffee table in the livingroom, except for Camille, who sat in her high chair.
I made a quick stop into the dollar store (RealDeals) this afternoon with Mali and Aaron. I told them to pick me out a pair of sunglasses. I do not have big expectations about sunglasses, I usually buy the first pair I try on. And I usually don't pay more than a buck for them. But I usually try them on myself. I could hear them laughing from across the store. They didn't do too badly. I bought 12 more of the 9ounce broken British chocolate eggs, 2/$1.....108 ounces of chocolate for six dollars. Less than a dollar a pound.
Well, the floor is mostly done now, except for the finishing up where the living room and the kitchen meet. Now I have the fun job of putting everything back. And I don't want anything back . I want to throw everything out and just leave it clean and empty. But the treadmill can't stay in the kitchen.
Mirielle is getting a little bit better. She is still pretty sick, but she can eat a bit more. She can't stop coughing, but it isn't a chesty cough, just a throaty cough. If she is still feeling awful on Monday, I will call the dr. just in case it has gone into something more than the flu. I have heard Kathryn cough a few times like Mirielle, and I think, uh-ho! But Mali wasn't as sick as Mirielle.....so maybe no one else will be, either.


4 comments:

Joni said...

Does Mirielle have influenza? Sounds pretty suspicious - poor girl, being so sick.

Joni said...

By suspicious, I mean that she may have the true, blue influenza. As you have more than likely experienced, it's miserable, and lasts for days and days.

mommeeof10 said...

I need to find the leftover laminate floor from the shed before my parents visit for easter. I can't remember which one we bought. Costco had it again the last time I was there, but I did not know which one we needed. I know the 1+ boxes we have is just not quite enough, but one more box will give us extra. The hall flooring is a 1960's era linoleum. My mom says it was fashionable for that time. It is black with pastel speckles in yellow, blue, green and pink. It has worn so much that the colors are wearing off. The floor under it is plywood, with some type of wood flooring below it, but no subfloor. These 100 yr old houses are so much fun. :)

Cassandra said...

Wow Della, your flooring looks so good! Joe promised me we would do the bedrooms (we have tiles everywhere else except the lounge room ) but we still havent gotten to it, probably a good thing seeing as i need to paint the big boys room before the flooring goes in and i really dont feel like it right now... But we were down at the hardware store on sunday and we almost bought some but couldnt decide on the colour, again maybe a good thing lol!
I understand what you mean about just wanting to just chuck everthing out, you get so used to having 'stuff' you dont realise how much more room you'd have if that 'stuff ' wasnt there hey!
I hope Mirielle feels better soon and no one else gets sick (((())))