summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Tuesday, March 31, 2009

one of those days

Chilly, cloudy...a wonderful day to be inside, no place to go, with a little girl with a fever. She is sweet and cuddly, and just wants to perch on the arm of my chair, covered with a blanket, all snuggled up to me. Her name is Charlotte Claire. I would like nothing more than to accomodate her, but the monkey wrench is named Camille. She has already dumped some frosted mini-wheats, my entire wallet (which Jon cashed in on, as I let him have all the change except the quarters and a few dimes)(of course he picked up the change for me).....



I took a trip to the store yesterday afternoon with my sister. I called home to see if everything was going okay. Evelyn told me that Charlotte Claire had a fever of 102 and had thrown up in her bed. So yes, I felt guilty. I was having a nice time shopping with Cheryl, but I wasn't going out for lunch or anything. I was getting the usual: diapers, milk, bread, bananas, eggs, yogurt, bagels....when I got home, things were a little hectic because Molly, Margaret, and Kathryn had gone to soccer, Joseph and Samuel had gone to see "Monsters vs. Aliens" with some friends, Abigail had just gotten home, and the little ones were in full swing. Add a bunch of groceries to be put away.....oh, and I had forgotten to tell the Tooth Fairy about some teeth for three different little girls, so I picked them each up a $1 flashlight, with batteries, to keep under their pillows for when the power goes out. What was I thinking? That's what Jon wanted to know. He could not understand for the life of him why I would buy flashlights for the girls and NOT him. So, I gave him the one I carry in my purse. The funny thing is, he didn't want to take it until I assured him I have a spare one in my room. Anyway, add in a Camille who wanted Mommy and no one but Mommy, who was putting things away, and a Charlotte Claire who was sick and also wanted Mommy......that is why I never posted anything last night.

All nine school kids got on the buses today. Ben and Abigail got off to their classes, and that leaves me with Jon, Charlotte Claire, and Camille. My nice clean new living room seems to be getting cluttered up again, slowly but surely. And the laundry room I cleaned so carefully....clothes are piling up again.....and since we put so many toys in the bedroom I cleaned and organized last month, that is no longer as nice as I would like it. All these things require one thing: maintenance. And that requires time. And energy. Which I seem to be lacking. So, today, I am going to spring a chore list on the unsuspecting school kids. If I give each of them a small job, alot will get done. They don't really mind, (HA), but really they like the results.

Camille is climbing all over me, and she wants me to put this away.....I sat down and took a break after picking up and vacuuming the kitchen and living room, and she was busy playing, so I started to type...ha.

2 comments:

Janis said...

Don't you just want to cuddle the sick ones? Just stay well! And I love how you call Camille "busy". I have one of those too but busy is much nicer sounding than what I usually think of so I'm going to steal that one!

mommeeof10 said...

On those days I get to stay home instead of go to work, I seem to do all the chores that the kids either didn't do or did a half done job at.

Case in point. I have asked my 15 yr old for the last 10 days to sweep the kitchen and dining room properly (under the furniture and the edges of the cabinets) and wash the floors. I finally swept and mopped the kitchen yesterday. I had my 11 yr old take the shop vac and clean the lose mud off the rug I stapled to the west porch floor, so the dirt wouldn't get tracked in. Tom finally swept and mopped the hallway and stairs just inside the west door last night. Now to get the dining room and east porch floor swept and washed. If only my kids would keep their shoes on outside and take them off when they walked through the door. No, they walk in the mud barefooted and then come inside. :)