summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Tuesday, February 15, 2011

do NOT talk on your cell phone while driving...

In New York State, starting this week, your ticket and fine will also be accompanied by two points on your license...which is stupid....points for speeding, perhaps, but...rrr. Anyway, do not talk on your phone while driving. It would make me sad to see insurance rates go up and extra yearly charges for license points for people who struggle with cash as it is, like my grown kids. I try not to call or text them when I think they are driving. The thing is, it is just plain ingrained in us to ANSWER THE PHONE! The government is asking a lot of us.....I mean, if I am driving down the road, my phone rings, I glance, it is a call from home....hmm. What if the house is on fire or someone fell down the stairs with a popsicle in their mouth? Or off the couch? Or what if Rosie got hit by a car? Or...okay, I am getting off topic....



Camille still has a fever off and on...she was one miserable girl last evening, begging me to put her to bed by eight or so. She only wanted me, and wanted to cuddle with me. She said she likes it when I sit down and hold her. Since she is sick, she has gone back like two years in development.



I managed to make the pizzas for dinner, only two because there were only ten of us all together. They were big pizzas, 26 ounce doughs. I kept is simple, one garlic with cheese, one sauce and pepperoni with red peppers. I ate with a whimpering Camille on my lap...



Jonathan's class at school is celebrating their 100th day of school, so each child is supposed to bring 100 items. The kids usually bring Cheerios or buttons or pennies...well, Jonathan brough 25 matchbox cars.....25 cars=100 wheels.



I have to go to the store. According to the kids, "There is nothing to eat." That means there are no bananas. No bagels. And for a few of them, no turkey. Sliced turkey for sandwiches. Joseph has been taking peanutbutter and jelly to college, which will not kill him. There are no chips, which they don't need anyway. But we are running out of milk, and have no salad fixings. As for cereal, we are getting down to just some Cheerios...and the oatmeal is getting low. I shall not complain, we are very blessed. I will not grumble about going shopping, yet again. Although it is a balmy TEN degrees here...sunny, though. Very sunny. And at the end of the week, before the weather turns cold again, it is going to be fifty degrees out!! I am going to sit out in the drive way and catch some rays if it isn't raining out.



I took Rosie out this morning, walked down the frozen tundra that used to be our driveway...the thaw made it so slippery. Thankfully we got another inch or two of snow last night to make a little bit of traction. Miss Rosie is a Puller, and she is strong. She is also Happy in the morning, and wants to smell the snowbanks on both sides of the drive way, in quick sucession. She also wants to sniff around the vehicles and around near the garbage cans. I cannot move nearly as fast as her on a good day, but when the driveway is a mass of ice, blah. I can just picture myself lying there while the kids park in front of Curious George, eating their cereal and not even wondering where I am....oops, there I go again.



Charlotte Claire "has nothing to do." She is all dressed up in her princess dress and shoes, and is lonely for Camille. She is going to set up her dollhouse now....



We are leaving next week for our Oklahoma trip. The weather there is decent now, much much warmer than here. I am hoping that we get some seventies and sunshine. Oh, that would be delicious right about now. One does get used to the cold, and it is convenient. Last week my sister-in-law went shopping with me, then came in for coffee and didn't have to worry about her groceries melting. And we leave drinks on the deck to keep cold. We have two frozen solid bottles of Diet Coke out there right now.....ooops. Too cold. And the snow does make the yard look nice. But I miss the grass and the birds. And after spring, glorious summer...oh my goodness....the pool!

7 comments:

Dinner Party Central said...

Hi Della,
I know that you don't like intrusion, and other people telling you what you can and cannot do. But not talking on your phone and especially texting is not only for your safety but for the safety of those around you. I have a friend who was hit by a woman who was just glancing at a text on her phone. She got distracted for a split second and ran head on into my friend. I wish she had been pulled over for doing that earlier. Not having the money to pay for the insurance points or tickets is a good enough reason to stay off the phone in the car. If fines will keep people safe then I am all for them.

madeleine said...

Oh wow, I can't believe that law is just coming in there! In Australia, we have had it in place for a decade or so. It's a 300+ dollar fine, and 3 points off your license. Most people comply, though you do see some people who don't care. Too many people have died from accidents involving using phones.

Poor Camille, hope she gets better soon. I'm so jealous of your snowiness, I love the idea of bunkering down inside. We never get that cold here. But it must be very trying at times too!

AUTISMOMMA said...

Way to go, Jonathan!!! I LOVE the 25 cars idea for 100th day!

16 blessings'mom said...

Yeah, I know...we need laws to protect us from people who don't think. Madeleine, we have had the law for a while, it is just getting stricter...

Martha said...

I never ever text on the cell phone I do not have while driving.

We keep our juice and soda cool in the basement. :)

AUTISMOMMA said...

Madeleine - I live in Indiana (another state in the US, in case you're not familiar) and we don't even have a law here regarding texting or talking on the phone while driving. It's very sad, in my opinion.

With that said, I can sympathize with needing to sometimes talk on the phone while I am driving. With a son who has autism and has seizures now and then, I need to know immediately when he is having a seizure if I am not there. Luckily, I have bluetooth in my SUV...as I think all new cars should be required to have. Maybe sometime down the line car manufacturers will consider this...

Tereza said...

I'm gonna miss the updates while you're gone:(
Not picking up the phone when its from home is easy for me!!! They call like every 3 minutes.....so I'm just like "That's IT...I'm NOT picking that up!":):):):)