summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Wednesday, February 23, 2011

waaay tooo long in the van!!!

From New York to Pennsylvania, Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Missouri, then Oklahoma...where the dirt is red, the leaves are crumpled and brown but still attached to the trees, and the people talk...well, they talk funny. Of course the guy at the QuickyMart in Missouri had quite the accent, too. He told us that this year they were hit the hardest with snow since 1912! He said they had almost up to here!, which was less than two feet. He looked a little bit like Yosemite Sam, but he sure was a nice fellow.

Riding in the van....oh my goodness....we drove and drove and drove...Emily and Joseph and Abigail and Aaron tried to beat the "estimated time of arrival" on the GPS by going fast. That isn't too hard when the speed limits are 70 and 75 mph. But Missouri was hard...sleet then rain, darkness, and curvy hilly roads...Emily tried, but the van kept hitting the ridges at the sides....and that would "wake" me up.

My kids now hate me. I did not sleep on the way down, all 24 hours of the trip. Okay, I had like five five minute naps. But I could not stay asleep. No, I was certain that if I did, whoever who was driving would fall asleep and careen off the road or into a truck..

We stopped alot. We just aren't on the same bathroom schedule. And we needed lots of coffee....which didn't help in the Stopping at Every Rest Stop part....but we HAD to stay awake. Although my kids kept telling ME to go to sleep. They said it was annoying how I would ask them if they were okay every ten minutes. Well, I didn't want them to go to sleep!!! Oh well. We made it here somehow. Starbucks and McCafe's and caramel creams helped. (we stopped at a grocery store in Indiana because the GPS led us there in our search for Starbucks...(mostly Aaron)...and it was closed...dark and closed...so we bought some little cups of cold fruit, it was so good and refreshing....)(but the grapefruit was $3.99 for an 18pound bag!! I wanted to get some, but they wouldn't let me....)

I am delirously tired...we have swam and sunned...oh my goodness, it was actually warm and sunny today! We all got some color, and it felt wonderful! There is a patio with lounge chairs outside, connected to the indoor pool....it was heavenly.

We were hungry, so we drove around this big flat town and found some chicken wings, and some pizza.....and brought it back here to our hotel....right now, Ashley is listening to music in the foyer, Joe and Emily are reading, Aaron is on his computer, Abigail is playing solitaire...it is quiet and restful....

We get to see Ben tomorrow....I hope we all sleep tonight...we are exhausted.

(and Happy Birthday to Suzanne!!! You are my little sweetiepie!) I miss the kids terribly already, and Paul too...it felt weird to be driving away from him....

7 comments:

Martha said...

Somehow your lack of sleep made me think of Bethany and her flight across the Pacific Ocean... James always eats sunflower seeds on long trips while he drives. Gives both his hands and mouth something to do.

Soak up all the sunshine you can! The temperatures here were in the single digits again this morning.

Momo said...

Yes, we have red dirt. I live in Oklahoma City. I guess we talk funny but if you think we talk funny then you need to go to Mississippi. Hope we don't have any tornadoes while you are in our state.

AUTISMOMMA said...

If you pass through Indianapolis on your way back, we would love to have you!!! ;)

holly said...

I cannot believe you drove 24 hours straight!!! Glad you got here okay.

We do NOT talk funny. You do! LOL!!!! Isn't it weird how you sound fine to you, but others don't? LOL!

When is his ceremony?

mommeeof10 said...

I hate car trips, even with just grown ups. I have not been able to sleep in the car since hubby misjudged the distance between him and the person trying to pass him and was rear ended. I was asleep when it happened but the impact woke me up. Hubby lost control and rolled the suburban, totalling it.

Carolyn said...

I think it's a good idea to ask if they are okay every 10 minutes! Sometimes annoying is safest! Lol, kids!

Tereza said...

funny how you find chicken wings and pizza even on your roadtrip:):)
I totally do the same thing....not sleep and keep checking the driver:) One time my gusband was driving (it was night time) to conf and he saw an overpass that wasn't there!!!!!! Since then I dont trust him:):):)