summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Monday, February 7, 2011

is it spring?

Well, it almost felt like it this morning when I took Rosie-The-Bad dog out for her little walk with NO COAT ON. Am I stupid? Perhaps, but not in this instance. I just decided after letting her out on her own that I really should take her on the leash. I just had a bad feeling about letting her go on her own...so I put on the size 12 boots that the big boys and Paul use for shovelling the driveway, and out the door I went. Here is the good part: it felt like spring. 31 degrees out, and it felt like spring. If it were that cold in October, I would be shivering, but after all the cold we have had, it seriously felt nice. No wind. No snow. Of course it won't be staying this way for long, every single day this week is forecast for more snow. Tomorrow it will be getting cold again, 9 degrees. And windy, and snowy. So maybe I will try to get the girls outside today to enjoy "spring".

I didn't do any laundry this weekend. So no one put anything in the hampers or dirtied any clothes or bedding. ha.

I haven't painted the kids' room yet. Evelyn moved the dresser away from the wall and cleaned underneath it. We still have to move one set of bunks away from the wall and wipe down the walls. I am thinking to take them to Walmart after school today to pick the paint. They all keep asking if they are going to be allowed to help. I asked them if they wanted their room to look good or look awful...not really. Although I did think of saying that. Thankfully I realized how rude it would be....

One thing I hate is when someone calls for Paul or Ben, and cannot talk to me because I am not on their account. "I will call back" they say. "Please don't", I say. Benjamin has school loans. He thought he covered all the bases with the loan companies prior to leaving, paying interest on the loans...the Army will pay for the loans, but not all at once. Anyway, the companies call all of the time, wanting to speak to Benjamin. I tell them he is in Boot Camp, and cannot talk to anyone. "Well, just have him call us back." He CAN'T call you back. "Okay, Mam, just have him call us back." Can you tell me what this is about? Because I can send a payment if that's what you need. "No, we can only speak to Benjamin about this account." blah. So they call, every single day.

So...aside from all the things I hate and have to complain about, I AM thankful for some things.

I am thankful for daughters. If I didn't have my daughters to talk to, I think I would get lonely. Sons are nice to have around too, but daughters grow up to be friends.

This morning I wandered out to the kitchen to take inventory of who was up and ready, just in case the school calls and asks where someone is...(one time the nurse called and asked if Joe was sick, I said yes,because I hadn't been up when the first trip kids went out the door, so I assumed he was in bed. She called back and said, "Mrs. W., we have Joseph here in school...." I died a million deaths.) Anyway, Mirielle and Joseph were leaving for college. Mirielle is always late. She makes other people late. It is never her fault. But she is very funny. She asked Joseph if he could drive so she could study for her test. Nothing like being prepared!

Camille is awake. She just informed me that, "There are scary shadows in your room, Mama. Under the bed. So you have to stay out of there!" I just told her that I love scary shadows.

Okay, last night I was looking up things that husbands like and don't like. One of the things they don't like, surprise surprise, is: chatter. Ouch. Chatter. I call it "talking about important things." But "chatter".....ouch. More specifically, the article stated that husbands don't like "chatter" when they are trying to read the paper or read stuff on their computers or watch an important show. So they tend to ignore their wives or just say, "uh-huh" in a non commital way that shows the wife they really don't want to talk. Now, if the tables were turned...and the husband started talking about what color paint to get or if we should have salad or a different veggie for dinner, the wife would stop what she is doing, and give the husband her full attention, even if she was slightly annoyed because she was reading a really funny blog. Why is that?

Anyway....I am glad for another day.

3 comments:

Martha said...

I went out to run errands on Saturday morning and it was gorgeous out! I even told James what a beautiful day it was, and it was, until I came out of Wegmans with my load of groceries and it was time to go home. :) At least I got to experience a breath or two of it. Too bad I forgot the women from church were meeting at a local diner for breakfast at 8 am. I really wanted to go.

Marriage is a funny thing, ain't it? Kind of like we're from different planets sometimes. :)

Tereza said...

oh my word...I do believe our husbands are long lost twins:) Hey you gotta tell me where to find this article!

Sherah said...

Oh, that was just too funny about the husband vs the wife when it comes to responding to chatter, ha ha! Because that is TOTALLY what I do, and I make a conscious effort to do so - stop whatever it is I'm doing and look at him and really listen.

Then of course I think well, I am making a big effort to listen so maybe he'll notice and realize it's important to me that he listens when *I* talk. Ha ha nothing like all these little schemes and hints and plans that we try to devise...and they know nothing of it whatsoever. Then we get offended because they didn't figure out what we were thinking!

No, really though, I have the best husband EVER - and it truly does get better and better when I apply the gospel and learn how to change from the inside. It's like heaven on earth sometimes! =)