summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Wednesday, December 8, 2010

after dinner stroll

We walked down to the beach, got our feet wet, then wandered back here, and a computer was open. Since mine doesn't work here, and there are only three for the whole hotel, it seemed like too good of an opportunity to pass up.

The food here is beyond words, but I shall try anyway. Tonight is Dominican Night at the buffet. I tried the giant roasted sweet potato slices, boiled pumpkin with onions,(melts in the mouth), some grilled steak, rice with beans, and the dessert: oh my goodness, the dessert....a flaky tender crunchy shell with mango and pineapple (I am allergic to pineapple, so I asked for mine without fruit), with a scoop of homemade chocolate ice cream, merangue fluted on, and flamed with a torch...it was SO good. Along with a square of home made peanut brittle, some chocolate mousse, and those little pasteries....we needed the walk, believe me.

It isn't overly hot here, Cheryl....not uncomfortably so...there is always a breeze, and it isn't overly sunny, either. The clouds move in and it rains a bit then it clears up...we go from the beach to the pool to the hot tub back to the pool....breakfast and lunch are served buffets that overlook the ocean, and one is allowed to wear one's swimwear to eat in. This means one can leave the hotel room in the morning in one's swimsuit, and not change into real clothes until dinner time. Most people dress really nicely here, it is a five star hotel...oh Margaret, the dresses! I am just amazed at the outfits, there are many Europeans here too, so it is quite colorful. I enjoy people watching. Of course I am pretending that our jewels are too precious to actually wear, they are in the safe. I mean, I don't even wear a watch because I am too cheap to replace the last one I lost. I truly do feel like an imposter, but it is fun!

We have showed the picture of our family to some of the workers here. I have been called, "Big Mama", but Paul was called, "Big Papa", so I am not taking it too personally.

We are getting spoiled. I have discovered that as soon as I put my fork down, my plate gets taken. The coffee here is out of this world, too. Con leche, with milk, the milk is hot and foamy. It tastes like cocoa, rich and creamy. The poolside service is incredible too. Anything one would like to drink, brought by a waiter, all day long. Or if one would like to swim up to the swim-up bar, it is refreshing.

We have been in touch with the kids at home. They are getting dumped on with snow, apparently. It is up to the mailbox. And windy and cold, too. It is just hard to imagine. I mean, we have these sunburns, and we just walked in the ocean....(the waves are SO much fun to play in, and the water is this unreal aquamarine color....)

Tomorrow is our last whole day here, it has gone by much too fast. We have enjoyed ourselves tremendously. I asked Paul if we had had only a few kids and had had this much time together all these years if he would be sick of me by now, and he said NO, so that's good. We are anything but sick of each other.

So, kids at home, if you are reading this: I do miss you, when I remember that you exist, that is......just kidding. I love you dearly, and am using this time here to clear my mind, and I am full of good intentions to come home and be patient and kind and appreciate you all. Be good and be respectful to the older ones...and you older ones who are taking all the responsibility, THANK YOU so much! Thank you for making dinner and cleaning up and tucking them in and getting them dressed for school and taking care of Rosie-The-Bad-Dog. (you ARE taking care of her, right?)

No comments: