summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Wednesday, December 22, 2010

quiet evening at home, HA.

Ben and Ashley are here, along with Ben's friend Caleb, who is helping Ben remodel his room so that Ashley will have a nice place to stay, as she is moving in with us when Benjamin returns to the U.S. Army. Ashley is sitting on the floor playing HiHoCherry-O with three of the kids, they already put together a U.S map puzzle, and played Elefun.

We celebrated Margaret's birthday. Evelyn and Ashley made the cakes, I helped make the white fluffy buttercream frosting, then Evelyn and I frosted them...I put coconut on one....we had homemade chicken noodle soup and heart shaped biscuits, then had our cake. (Ben and Ashley and I, Sam, Margaret, Kathryn, Evelyn, Suzanne, Sonja, Jonathan, Charlotte Claire, and Camille)(Paul and the older ones are at the Dome)

Our afternoon WAS relaxing, actually. The livingroom was nice and picked up, we sat around and watched Margaret open her presents, then just talked and looked at the things the kids got at their class parties. Camille fell asleep on my lap, giving me a good excuse to have a nice long rest. Kathryn feels lousy, the infection in her ear has gotten quite bad. She has a slight fever. The antibiotics have helped a little, but she can't really eat much, and she just wants to sleep. So she was cuddled up on the couch while I rested in my chair with Camille. We didn't turn on the television, just had the tree and the window lights on....

It is also a nice evening here....the Christmas lights are on, the television is off....the kids are playing with Ashley...but Rosie wants to play...she keeps bringing me Barbies. She is a great big huge puppy, who wants all the attention.

Aaron just got home from work. Yay, I saved him some dinner!

After Kathryn's appointment today, we went to get a last Secret Santa gift. Quickly, because she didn't feel well. Then I stopped at a local dairy store for some good ice cream, then home...ah, home. I have been going too many places too many days.

I have all my wrapping done, all the shopping done...except for the wedding. We have things to plan still...and then things to buy. But hopefully that can be done on the day after Christmas.

Kathryn's ear....oh my goodness, frustration! Her gland on her face in front of her ear is huge, she had green stuff coming out of her ear, but the Nurse Practioner didn't prescribe anything the other day because the ear drum looked okay. She had a fever this morning, and the swelling was worse, the green stuff still coming...I decided to take her in again. This time the N.P. said there were more symptoms than the other day, so prescribed two antibiotics, one oral and one for the ear. She is in rough shape, and I wish the N.P had just given her something the other day...rrr. Another $70 bucks, and another trip to the small city....and she had to miss more school.

I told Miss Kathryn just to be thankful that we live NOW and not before 1944, or she would just have to live in misery, or else get an infection so bad it would literally kill her. Isn't it just crazy that antibiotics have only been used for 66 years? People have lived on earth for a few million years. 66 years is a drop in the bucket. For all those years, children have died from the things we just bring them in and get Zithromax for. Anyway, we have much to be thankful for and nothing to grumble about......

2 comments:

Tereza said...

Yes I have to agree with that one..though people would argue there was also less pollution, organic whole foods etc and people werent sick as often.....BUT...wasn't the average life span like 4 years or something? Anyhow...it's so wonderful that we have doctors and medicine. Hope she's well soon!

So what are the plans for the room? Do they have a color picked out etc?

holly said...

I can't help but feel a little bit offended here, Della. I have been a long time reader/commenter on your blog, and we have exchanged emails in the past, so I thought there was a little history there, but for some reason you A.)won't accept a facebook request, nor would you even grant me a reply to my messages...then B.) you don't answer why your 18 year old was invited to a beer date (which, what is that, and isn't he underage?) nor would you C.) answer the million of years comment. The last thing you ever said to me was actually kind of rude "I hate to be captain obvious!" What did I do to you? You are going to put everything out there, but you seem offended by questions that maybe aren't ones you like? I am usually rooting you on, saying positive things to you because I truly liked your writing and reading about your family. But if I offended you by saying something you didn't like, well, isn't that a bit one sided? Surely you aren't only interested in having friends that completely agree with everything you say? Friendships are formed when you can be iron sharpening iron as well as helping each other think. What gives?