summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Friday, December 17, 2010

cookies and cookies and cookies

The funniest thing: when I was getting ready to start the cookies, Suze was my companion in the kitchen. She asked, "Will this be one of those times times when I have to do all the things for you like getting stuff and helping without doing the fun stuff? Or will it be making good memories?" Oooh, that child knows how to make a Mom feel guilty. So since it had been on my heart to be patient and good with this cookie thing anyway, I went the extra mile...

I gave them all hunks of dough....Suze, Sonja, Jon, Charlotte Claire, and Camille....and we took turns with the rolling pin. Suzanne didn't do too badly. But as for the rest of them, I should have just given them playdough. Camille made these huge fat snowflakes after nibbling and kneeding and playing with the dough for a hour. When she wasn't looking, I threw them away. If she reads this when she grows up, for the record, she is adorable, and I love her. Jon used the car cookie cutter....

They all lost interest except for Charlotte Claire, who stayed there rolling out cookies until the end. They were begging to help me wrap presents before I even finished with the cookies. Then I got the bright idea to mix up a batch of chocolate spritz cookies....I have this old old Mirro cookie press...it took so long to make these cookies, but they are SO good.

After I finish with my "break", I shall take on the task of frosting and sprinkling the cookies with the kids. Tonight would be a nice night for Paul to just spontaneously bring home a stack of pizzas, ha. I do not want to make dinner, I already know that. I don't mind so much the baking and cooking, but with all the pan washing and cleaning up, blah, I get tired of being in the kitchen...but now the bigger kids are home from school, it will be more fun and they can help. And because the kids have found the mini pizza pockets I bought for Christmas, and have been eating them. Their after school snacks today are fit for a king. Anyway, we shall go frost the cookies, then I shall save some for the feast on Sunday at church, then some for Christmas eve, if possible.

After the kids got sick of making cookies, they made forts. That is one of my least favorite finds, walking into a room and seeing six kitchen chairs and tons of blankets and and all those dollies and pillows....well, I say this, but I am usually the one who makes these forts. I heard there was one in Charlotte Claire's room, too. I am not surprised. To these guys, a clean room means a place to set up fun stuff.

Forts are cozy though. It makes me want to be little again.

Well, I have to go tackle those cookies.....(I am trying to bribe the kids to help me locate that camera cord, but they just keep asking what the prize is...Jon want to open a Christmas present if he finds it, and I am just not that desparate to find the cord.....)

1 comment:

Ellen said...

My son has a fort in his room right now and one in our sunroom!
But I loved making forts as a kid, so what are you gonna do!