summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Monday, December 20, 2010

what will this day bring?

Kathryn needs to see the dr., I will spare the details in case anyone is drinking their morning coffee, but she has ear issues....a nice infection, to say the least. She couldn't sleep last night.

There is shopping to be done...we are almost out of instant coffee, because my older kids like to drink it too.

I am feeling a little panic-y because the wedding date is approaching, and Christmas is coming....a I prepared? ha.

Yesterday we had our Christmas celebration at church. The youth kids pick names of the younger kids to buy gifts for. The older kids do this, and it is so sweet to see the line up in the front and call the names of the little ones. Then the little ones go find the one who gave them the gift and thank them...it is really something to experience. These older ones just give so much. Of course they get blessed much more in return.....

So everything is so good...then there is ME. Me with all my thoughts and feelings and incapabilities and temptations. There is much to work on, that's for sure. Sometimes I get tempted to get sick and tired of everything....the work and the work and the dealing with things and the appointments......but today is the day of salvation. I needn't worry about tomorrow, or regret yesterday. And if today is too much, then I shall just work at NOW. Even a day can seem daunting sometimes. And so much of what I think I NEED to do is just pride.

Then of course are the things I really need to do, like that laundry that is ever growing. One of thing things I notice that bothers me is that no matter how much I do around here, I never seem to do enough. I mean, it isn't like the other people around here are walking around in awe...no, they just see the stuff I didn't get to yet. Even if I work extra hard and do more work than they do messing, and come out ahead and it looks almost nice in here, there are still things that don't get done. It also makes me feel like the chinchilla on a treadmill......I like a clean house, but cleaning it over and over and over again just bores me. wah, poor poor me......

Col. 3, v.23, "And whatever you do, do your work heartily, as unto the Lord, and not to men."....that verse is my help. After all these years, I still find the grumbling, but I am working on it.

It is snowing out. This has officially been the snowiest December on record for Central New York. We have gotten over 70 inches. And that was by the 18th of the month. It is a good year to have gotten myself a pair of boots. And my red slippers. I have not lost them yet, because I put them on when I get out of bed and wear them all day. I shuffle around in my red slippers like an old lady.

Well, my coffee cup is empty, and I need to call the dr. for Kathryn....

6 comments:

Martha said...

"I shuffle around in my red slippers like an old lady."

This makes me smile. :)

On Friday I did not know how to babysit, be here to meet "Vinegar" at 11 am, get the girls off the bus at 12:30 pm, care for children all afternoon, and get my poor Hannah to the doctors office which I knew was going to be much more than an in and out ordeal. God knew and that is why her daddy was available. I still wish I could have taken her, it's a mommy thing, but I knew that was impossible. James did a good job.

Soon Christmas will be over and we will find a time to get together... maybe. :)

Mom said...

I love that verse and remember it often when I am tempted to feel bored, restless, taken for granted, and just generally fed-up with the motherly/wifely duties. We all get it from time to time. You have the right attitude--when the day is too much just think about the now. Love it!

16 blessings'mom said...

Martha, we WILL get together one of these days. What better way to combat the January blahs? One of the hardest things for me has been the times Paul had to take the kids to the dr. Sam and Joseph both had stitches without me...I always had a little baby, and it was just more practical for him to sit around the hospital waiting room than me...but I know what you mean, it is hard on Mommy.

mommeeof10 said...

The only way we got the house cleanish recently was for dad and mom to play drill sergeant and keep nagging the kids until they did their chores. I also informed them that I was not cooking a nice Christmas dinner unless all the rooms were cleaned and the mountain of clean laundry sorted so we could use the dining room table. The kids bedroom floors are not crunchy anymore, but I still have several bins of stuff to sort. Whatever they did not know where to put, they threw in storage bins.

maureen said...

70 inches of snow?!!! WOW! Here in Kansas we have only had about an inch! This is the least snowiest December on record. I wish I was there! I love the snow!

Carolyn said...

Just do the next thing and keep on keeping on! How's that for Cliché!
Somehow it all works out in the end~

I wish you and yours a very Merry Christmas!