summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Thursday, April 5, 2012

cookie cookie cookie cookie cookie starts with "C"

One stinkin' cookie left out there and no one will eat it. I am gonna have to feed it to Rosie if no one eats it soon. After dinner last night, Sonja asked if she could please make cookies. I told her I would mix up the dough, and she could make them. Margaret asked if she could bring some in to her French class, and I said she could if she did the Taking Them Out Of The Oven part. She agreed. So I mixed up:

3 sticks of butter (1 and a half cups)
1 1/2 cups shortening
blend together, then add:
3 cups brown sugar
1 1/2 cup white sugar
Mix up and add:
6 eggs
3 teaspoons vanilla
beat until fluffy, take a few tastes.

in separate bowl, stir together:
6 3/4 cups flour
3 teaspoons baking soda
2 teaspoons salt

Add dry mixture to fluffy yummy stuff, mix up, then add tons of chocolate chips. Take lots of tastes, let kids lick off beaters, and kids who don't get a beater - give a spoonful of dough. If you give it freely, they don't have to try to sneak it, and it makes them like Mommy. (that's why you should make so much dough at a time)(I sometimes baggy some up and put it in the 'fridge for the next day)

But remember, the dough has calories too. I try to count my spoonfuls.

Last night, I vowed not to have even one cookie. But. Seriously, one jumped into my mouth. It was well done like the one in the picture. Some of the kids like the really soggy barely done kind, I like mine nice and crispy, yet chewy, these cookies are deadly good. Anyway, I ate one, and oh my goodness, I felt like I had to just leave the house to get away from them. Paul kept eating them and telling the kids to just eat them all because he couldn't stop. I am going to send some to Benjamin. Even if they melt and turn to mush, I think they'll like them.

BTW, he texted me this morning! Now, this morning was my morning to sleep in. I didn't have to get up with the younger kids, and when Paul was getting ready for work, he was way too loud and I was fighting coming all the way awake, just wanted to sleep! I dozed back off after he left, then from a deep comfy sleep, I heard my phone pinging. It was Benny! And I seriously didn't mind. (if it had been anyone else, rrr. ha.) He is with only 30 guys out in the wilderness somewhere in Afghanistan. He told me about going out on missions and seeing the villages with the mud huts and little kids running around. I told him he was not allowed to go out on missions and to stay out of those tanks, stay safe in camp. ha. He said the medic he is replacing is...well, to put it nicely, he has PSTD. He told Ben how many times he had to call for a copter to evacuate casualties, and it was well over a hundred, and it was usually more than one at a time. But Benjamin seemed in good spirits. He said they were trying to make it fun, making their tent home-y. The previous soldiers left behind stuff, and they all hoarded it and Ben said it was cool.

So I was glad to talk to him.

Then I read the newspaper. Three soldiers, suicide bomber. Apparently the spring in Afghanistan, more violence. There has been a recent spike in Taliban strikes. Lovely.

Perhaps I shouldn't read the news? How can I not? I know full well it is dangerous over there, and he has a lot to deal with. I don't want to just put my head under my pillow and wish it all away. I feel like the more I understand what he's going through, the more I can pray earnestly for him, and mentally support him. Does that make sense?

He keeps texting me here and there, which is amazing. I never realized their calls and texts are routed through a place here in the states, so we don't have to pay international text rates. At least that is what I understand, and I hope it is the case. When Paul was in India, we had like $400 in overcharges, oops. And that was only for 16 days.

Well, kids are here, it is fun, I have to move it.

No comments: