summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Tuesday, April 10, 2012

short post this morning....

I have a headache this morning. The two little princesses have colds, Camille has a low-grade fever. They crawled into bed with me early this morning, after Paul left for work. I was already awake though, Benjamin texted me at 6:09 a.m. I do not mind though, I do not want him to even ever consider what time it is over here, if he has the time and opportunity to converse, I am here.

He is living in a nightmare. He, since he is a Medic, has to go every single day out on patrol. The mortars and snipers get to take turns and go every other day or every third day. He had his first casualty, a little boy who reminded him painfully of our Jonny. Ben was closing his eyes and crying, and praying, and felt like he was going to pass out. Because this wasn't practice, this was real, and it was a small child, so innocent. This child was hit by an IED, probably being planted by his father. Benjamin said he probably wouldn't make it, this little boy, because of his extensive injuries.

So Benjamin said he was excited to do his job, his Medic job...but if he never had to do anything like that again, he would be fine with it. What can a mother say? Life is harsh, war is hell. Benjamin was raised here in a nice family, with a huge love and respect for life. I can only hope and pray that he guards his heart, and doesn't grow hard and bitter. I think it helps that he keeps in touch. It is horribly expensive to have phone/internet service there, but I think it is worth every penny.

That is how my day started, hearing about his 91 degree day over in Afghanistan. It made my nice cool walk with Rosie seem peaceful and heavenly.

Evelyn is having a friend over, so I have to get out of this chair and go pick her up, stopping at the store first for some bread and apples.

My head is aching. But I shall not complain. I think about Ben, and it makes me really want to be thankful for my country, and my life.

Weigh in: Down one pound. One lousy pound. But in the big scheme of things, I am okay with that. For some reason, the fat likes me.

1 comment:

Cindy @ Marriedtothemilitary {dot} net said...

so happy that you heard from him. That is wonderful. We were never able to afford the cost of a cell phone, it would have been woonderful. The $100 a month internet after paryiing the cost of internet at home, and the cost of inernet on my cell phone so that I wouldn't have to miss him, $200 on internet was insane alone, UGH! The cost of a cell phone too was just not one more expense would could hack.

God bless him and his fellow soldiers. May they stay safe in the job that they do, and may they all come home safe.