summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Saturday, September 29, 2012

life is a series of stories....

and I like to tell mine. Here's a little one from yesterday....

While shopping at the warehouse store for our church conference concession/grill, my church check had to be approved by the manager. She disaproved, but told me she would let me go just this once. But if I ever tried to pay with a church check again, I had better have a church account with them, she admonished like I had tried to steal all the stuff or something. She said I had better get it straightened out next time...so I said, "Or I should just shop at Sam's Club instead?" (a competitor). She did not like that one little bit. I have daughters, and I can spot the Stompy/Door Slamming demeanor. So as she jabbed my numbers into the register, I felt bad for my little retort about shopping at Sam's. It had made her mad. Or madder. I don't know. But there she was with a check with our church name right on it, and there I was, returning evil for evil. So I tapped her on the shoulder. She stopped jabbing and looked at me. I said, "I'm sorry. I didn't mean to be rude." She didn't know what to say. She mumbled something, but I had broken the ice. YES!!! I love when I break the ice. Because it is written to pursue peace with all men, especially those in the household of God.

So. It is late. I am tired. I talked to Benjamin because he had a rough day the other day, if you call being shot at and returning fire and having one of your best buddies step on a 25 pound IED which miraculously did not detonate, a rough day. He did not want to tell me about this day, because he doesn't want me to worry. But I know God has His hand on Ben. I am still tempted to worry, and sometimes I feel downright terrified, but to God, Afghanistan is not scary. And God knows what He is doing.

I am tired, and rambling. So no more stories for tonight....

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't comment enough but read every word. Thank you for sharing your faith. It strengthens mine, brings me hope, which I need especially now.

Cindy @ Marriedtothemilitary {dot} net said...

Lots of prayers for Ben and his troops. You know I understand. Not my child but my husband. My MIL is a basket case. I got to hear stuff we nevertold her and never will. She would add to my stress which would make me even worse so we chose not to say anything. I asked Jim not to keep stuff from me because it leads to that feeling of distrust. Only thing he would keep was he would wait until AFTER a mission to tell me. and he held it it when they had a date to redeploy before they even got home. He wanted us to enjoy at least a few weeks before he dropped that bomb. Sadly then someone else droppped that bomb for him :-(

Tereza said...

Love your stories!!!!! Amazing how god works in all out unique lives