summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Friday, February 1, 2013

a sad and fond farewell to grampa....

Paul's dad passed away this morning. He was 86 years old and had a good life. I personally loved him. Seriously. He was only 55 when I met Paul, five years older than Paul is now. And shh, but I thought he was so handsome! He was always so nice to me, too. He was just easy to talk to. This past summer I visited him on his front deck a few times, and boy, one didn't get bored talking away the afternoon with him. Even when we went to see him in hospice care, he was laughing and telling jokes. He couldn't remember that he was in Florida half the time by then, but he did remember way back when.

My kids cried their eyes out as they waited for the bus this morning. I reminded them that Grampa had a good life, and a good passing, according to Emily. She is in Florida now, and was with him when he died. She is somewhat of an expert on passings, as a nurse in the medical intensive care, she sees them almost daily. She says some are horrific, mostly because of the way families don't want to let go, and the way our western culture holds on to life at all costs. So Grampa passed away quite peacefully in his sleep this morning. Just the way he would have wanted it.

And I am sad. Paul is at work. He has this huge project going, can't just leave. I called him and told him we have to go visit his mom for a few days soon. He agreed. I just want to give her a big hug. Because I know she is relieved that his suffering is over, but I know there will be a huge emptiness in her life. She took good care of him.

When someone dies, other things in life lose their significance.

Poor Mali was in class up at school in the big city when she found out...facebook. (I didn't think to ask what she was doing on facebook in class!)(don't kill me, Mali!) anyway, what a way to find out that your grampa has died. She wasn't thrilled, but I reminded her that that is the way things are these days. facebook: the biggest blabbermouth.

We are getting lots of snow today. 20 degrees, wind blowing, snow. Blinding snow. I am staying right where I am this afternoon. Joseph is trying to get out of the driveway to go pick up Samuel. I thought I needed a few things from the store, but ha, I guess I don't.

I haven't exercised yet today, and the first trip kids will be home soon. I haven't even had lunch, although I do admit to sneaking two spoonfuls of the cookie dough that is dwindling in the baggy in the fridge. There is no longer enough to bake a batch of cookies....and this is the first time I have been into it since the other day when I made the dough. We live in a house of cookie-dough-aholics.

That's another thing about when someone dies. It's hard to care about things like what I eat.

My two little princesses are home today. They have been playing Barbies in their room for hours. They are so in love with staying home on a day like today!

Suri is resting on the couch. Yes, that bad dog can get up onto the furniture already! Here I carry her up and down the steps so she can go potty outside, and she climbs up onto the couch. She never has liked the floor, even with her comfy bed. Good thing I was just paying attention to her, she had her fentanyl patch off! I grabbed it before she chewed on it. I was supposed to remove it this afternoon anyway. She is paying too much attention to her incision, I hope we don't have to take her in for one of those big cones...well, actually she WOULD look hilarious.

8 comments:

Martha said...

I am sorry to hear of Grampa's passing, but you are right, it is easier when the family lets go. Takes me right back to my dad's journey. We let him go, straight into the arms of Jesus, without ever begging him to stay. It was bittersweet and I wouldn't change it for anything.

Let the tears fall, they are a healing balm.

Kathyb1960 said...

I'm so sorry to hear about Paul's father, but now he is healthy and in no pain.

We have a rule in our family about putting news on FB. We make sure everyone in the immediate family (Including close cousins!) knows the news before we put any bad news on FB. When my sister died 2 yrs ago, my cousin found out before we could tell her not to put anything on FB. Fortunately, everyone already knew the news, and my other sister, was on the road anyway, and kinda knew. But it's hard, b/c you want to let everyone know, but you don't want your family to find out THAT way.

My prayers will be with you and your family!

Anonymous said...

please don't be hard on her for being upset about finding out on fb, just a few weeks ago my FIL passed away and 2 days later was informed by a feed on fb that my uncle had passed and I can tell you its a very hurtful and impersonal way to find out news like that and I hope whoever posted that before all the family was told the news can have a heart and learn a lesson just bc fb is the "thing" now days it doesn't give people the right to be rude and hurtful.

Anonymous said...

So sorry for your loss, Della and family. We buried my mother in law this morning. She passed on at the age of 95. She died in Christ.

Melanie L said...

Aw, sorry to hear about your grandpa. You have so many good memories and I hope those memories bring you joy in the days ahead.

Mum said...

I am so sorry to hear about your father in law's passing. We lost my husband's grandad a couple years ago and it is still hard. The children talk about him every day. I hope that is the way he would have wanted, with us still laughing about the fun we had with him. He was such a generous and caring man, not that he'd have admitted to it. :) I hope you can all find comfort and healing with each other. Wishing you all strength and comfort.

Anonymous said...

I am so sorry to hear of your loss! Although he seems to have had a peaceful passing and a good long life it is still sad, especially for your mother-in-law. Thoughts are with you.

Cindy @ Marriedtothemilitary {dot} net said...

So sorry about Pauls father. I am glad that your daughter can bet there with them though. Especially for Paul's Mom.

((((hugs))))