summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Wednesday, February 6, 2013

on being fat...

Does anyone really want to be fat? Heavy? Obese? (I HATE that word, by the way). I don't think so. I never ate three cheeseburgers, or a whole pie by myself. Okay, perhaps a little slice here and a little bit there that maybe added up to a whole pie, if it was pumpkin, by the end of the day. But. It isn't like I just ate uncontrollably. Our typical American diet with it's abundance of white bread and candy for every occasion...doom. Anyway. Navigating through life saying NO to things time after time, day after day...it gets old. And since I have repeated this so many times it is nothing new, I won't give up. I want to lose more weight. Mostly so my knees will continue to hold me up. I don't want to be the fat lady in the Walmart cart, and even as I type this, I feel bad because I don't want to sound judgemental or critical. I just want to do all I can do while I can, to maintain mobility and have a good quality of life. It is no secret that being fat causes type two diabetes, high blood pressure, and...bad knees. So my brain knows that I need to avoid the cookie dough, limit the chocolate chips, count the nuts, say no to seconds. I know that. So I will hang in there, persevere.

My poor kids...they are feeling a bit better, but are sick of being sick. Thankfully I bought some of those horrid ramen noodles last week, six packages for a buck...they are almost toxic in their sodium content, not even real food. But for some reason, these sick kids want to eat them today. They are better enough to be arguing with each other and discussing what is the best way to describe a zombie. Evelyn asked Jon if he turned into one, would he want her to shoot him? Stop that, I said. Sonja is taking out skirts she used to wear to school when she was little and laughing at them.

The red grapefruit have been so good this season. I have been having one every night after dinner. When I sit down with it, I gain a few friends who want a slice, so I usually end up cutting up another one.

Suri is a couch-hog. She takes up like two or three places. She is healing up nicely, and still takes her medicine like a champ. When she sees the bottles, she wags her tail because she knows I will give her treats.

I went to the pool last evening with Jon and Char. I moved for the whole thirty minutes, and it felt great. Going out into the cold night air for the ride home is not fun, but Mirielle had made dinner and it was ready when we walked in the door, orange chicken, brown rice, and broccoli. I had mine with only a few teaspoons of the rice, and lots of green and red peppers added in.

And I am ready to get moving again...I already washed dishes and did laundry and swept the floors. It is nice to sit here with these silly sick girls, even though I feel sorry for them.




No comments: