summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Monday, March 25, 2013

occupational identity crisis....

Am I a man, or am I a muppet? Just kidding. I am not a stay-at-home mom, because I rarely stay home. Maybe once every few weeks I stay home all day. Or perhaps once a month. I am not a housewife, because that insinuates that one is a "wife" to a "house". I am on good terms with my house, I mean I like it and all, but I am certainly not in love with it!

I have been a slacker. Not in every area, no, my huge excuse is that I helped my sister last week...with the wedding shower, then the shopping for the wedding. So I let things go around here. I did do day-to-day work, the kids helped pick up and do dishes, ect. But I see piles of stuff, and I am the unelected official pile dismantler. I am the only one who knows where everything goes, so they think. But anyway, the already read newspapers and the stacks of school papers and the junk mail and and and....I have to sort. The couch monster is still small enough to not scare me, but it will still take a few minutes to sort and put away. It is mostly towels, and I am not afraid of towels, I know where they go.

Anyway, I know I have to straighten the place out. The refrigerator needs to be cleaned out a bit, and the little girls' bedroom has slipped back into it's comfy state. Too comfy. Here and there and everywhere, I need to do some things. It isn't terrible, but it is bad enough. I do care. I like clean. I would like it more if someone else cleaned it though. It is so repetitious. But...it is my job I guess....

Enough whining. I won't be staying home all day today, because Evelyn Joy needs...yes, NEEDS to go to the library. She gets out stacks of books at a time. So I am picking her up early from school, just 20 minutes early...and because I thought it would be interesting, I actually wrote on the picking-her-up-early note that the reason I am picking her up early: library trip. Won't it be ironic if the school complains that is not a valid reason to miss school?

So we are going to the library, then to the store. We are running out of milk and fresh produce.

We had a nice dinner last night. I baked a ham, sliced some sweet potatoes into oven fries, seasoned with Jamaican jerk and olive oil, we had asparagus, and some cauliflower, roasted in the oven too.

Emily and Abigail came over, and we sat around the table forever and solved the world's problems. We had decaf coffee, and I dug out some Belgium chocolate from my stash in the closet. Yeah, it was clearanced. And oh my it was good, way too good. I should not eat chocolate. Not.

Paul and I were thinking of taking a trip to Florida with the five youngest kids. He thought it would be really fun to take them to Disney. Then I looked up the prices for tickets...um, $89 for one ticket for one day? Times seven? I do not think so. And, we are thinking of driving down. Because plane tickets...$200-something times seven...ouch. Plus we would have to rent a van if we flew. I remember all too clearly how exhausting it was to drive that far....would the kids survive it? It is a 23 - 24 hour trip, one way. It is fun to plan and speculate, anyway.

We are also planning a little trip for ourselves, to Gettysburg, Pennsylvania. Paul has always wanted to go there, he is a Civil War buff. I am not totally interested in wars of the past, but I do like history enough to be excited to go. (plus I like my husband enough to be excited to go and spend time with him.) We may go this coming weekend.:)

Brr, it is chilly in here. I went for a nice long walk with Suri this morning after I got the kids on the bus. She does not like cars going by. She starts pulling the leash and dancing everywhere when one goes by, so I tell her to SIT, then I pat her head and tell her she is a Good Girl. But a big truck drove by, and she got so scared she stood on her hind legs and wrapped her front legs right around my waist, put her head right on me....it was sweet, but poor girl. I have not walked her enough. She needs to go every day, and get used to cars going by while she is young and not so set in her ways. Anyway, I am chilly because I was so warm when I walked in the door, then I got my breakfast and sat here in my comfy chair...inactivity after activity, brr.

So I will get moving here and try to clean up the place because I love my family, and because Paul works hard and I get to stay home so I should be a good girl and at least make an effort. ha, poor me, right?





3 comments:

FLmom7 said...

We live a few hours from Disney but my 5 youngest have never been there because it's so expensive. And last time we were there, years ago, they didn't allow you to bring food in the park. So we either had to go find our var in the huge parking lot and eat out of the cooler, or pay ridiculous prices for food in the park.

Anonymous said...

You make me laugh...I have that crisis too ;))

WicketsMom said...

There are ways to save on Disney, although yes it is still expensive. However, we go about once a year or so! Last year we did the Disney trifecta, hitting Disneyworld, Disneyland, and a Disney cruise (during Hurricane Sandy, not fun).

Check out their Disney YES (Youth Education Series) programs. The kids can attend fun and educational programs that have behind-the-scenes tours, and you get greatly discounted tickets for the group. You can also bring in food and drinks, plus they will give you free cups of water anywhere if you ask. If you go during free dining periods and stay on-site your food is covered too. Otherwise, the dining plan is too expensive, in my opinion, and we had a hard time eating all the food credits we had.