summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Tuesday, March 19, 2013

when you get that late night phone call....

You know how it is, your phone rings when the house is quiet, and you know, just KNOW, it isn't good news. It was Aaron. He was out visiting friends from church with Samuel. I tried to be calm oool collected. "Um Mom, we are all right, but we went off the road. What do we do?"

Yes, the important thing is that they are okay. Paul's new truck...not so much. Nothing major, just got it's face bashed in a bit. Poor Paul. I know he's probably working with it, probably telling himself that it is just a truck, it would happen sooner or later, it still runs, the boys are good boys and probably feel bad enough.

Life happens. Put in perspective, it's not such a big deal. But: I do not like those phone calls.

I am very very thankful that Thomas, my niece's husband (the twin's daddy) was heading out to the airport to pick up his sister, and could pull them out of the ditch.

And sometimes these things are worth more than gold because I can tell my kids 'til I am blue in the face about being careful and driving slowly and and and, but when they experience an accident, they learn firsthand. I think it scared them. Even though it wasn't their fault, the roads were icy, they learn to be careful.

And now...on to the pool...then out to breakfast with my vacationing college students Mirielle, Aaron, and Mali.....and Emily who has the day off from work, and Joseph. And Camille, who is taking the day off from kindergarten.

4 comments:

AUTISMOMMA said...

I am so glad Aaron and his friends are okay. And you are right - usually things don't sink in with kids until they get the scare of their lives. To this day, I still remember the first time, as a new teenage driver, when I slid on ice. I was going up an exit ramp and slid right out into the intersection. From then on, I knew how dangerous even those tiny patches of ice can be.

We are not looking forward to our kids driving but thankfully we have several years before that comes.

Chet and Ashley said...

I am so thankful they are alright!!!

Cindy @ Marriedtothemilitary {dot} net said...

oh man. I know they are OK, but it is hard not to be disappointed :-(

Tereza said...

That's scary!!!! Glad they are ok