summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Monday, April 15, 2013

can i please go back to bed?

There's more to do around here than I can shake a stick at, whatever that means. Old people say it. I love the phrases that older people use. My mother-in-law is hilarious. She says some people have more money than God. Or that they are Odder Than Dick's Hatband. When we go visit her, I am going to remember all of them.

We are staying in a hotel in her town for the first part of our vacation, the same hotel we stayed in when I went with Joseph, Aaron, Samuel, Kathryn, Evelyn, and Suzanne. I can't believe I am going back there after the toilet backed up and the desk lady's response was to hand me a plunger. Seriously. And Joseph dropped his whole breakfast that one morning, the yogurt totally dripped down the wall...and we were so mature about it, doubled over laughing. Joe just sat down all calm-like. Oh man. The pool is in Lowe's parking lot. Pool, palm trees, parking lot. Of course none of the photos on the hotel site show the Lowe's peeking through the trees. My mother-in-law has a pool where she lives though, so I am not worrying about it.

I am tired because I stayed up way too late last night looking for the perfect hotel for part two of our vacay. For part two, I wanted a place that was resort-like, fun pools for the kids, plus more room to stretch out in, and some privacy. I found so many places...but there are hidden fees with some, like resort fees added on, parking charges, ect. So I looked and looked until I was dizzy. Mirielle said to just book one already, and get on with life. So I did, last night at midnight. Now, I don't know about you, but actually pushing that button that says, "Book Room", is hard for me. But I did it. And of course my first thought was, Hey, I think I liked that other place better. But nope, it is booked. Two bedroom suite with a kitchen. Lots of splash pools for the kids. No breakfast included, but we will hit the grocery store and make our own omelettes.

We are going to Magic Kingdom for one day, and this hotel is very close, but not actually one of the Disney hotels, as they are way too expensive. We can choose to take a free shuttle to the park, or drive there and pay parking and have the option to leave whenever we want.

Now we are talking about leaving on Friday night and driving all the way through, with just stops to eat and use the restrooms. That would put us there on Saturday night, in time to go to bed:) I think that might be better than driving all day, sleeping, then driving all day again...because that uses up two full days, and prolongs the agony. The kids would have to sleep in the van, but either way, they are going to be in it for like 24 hours...may as well spend lots of it sleeping.

As for us driving all night...wah. But after driving straight through to Florida back in January, and to Oklahoma a few years back (which is even farther), driving at night is better because there are way fewer idiots on the road. I mean, there is less traffic.

Dang I am tired. I stayed up too late and now I can't see straight. Goodnight!






2 comments:

WicketsMom said...

Another parking option is to drive to Downtown Disney and park there (free parking) then catch the Disney bus to the Magic Kingdom. You can also do that one day, then catch a bus to the Transportation Center and ride the monorail around (also free). We like to do that on arrival day of our Disney trips just to check out the different resorts and watch the fireworks and light parade on the lake from Fort Wilderness too. When my son was small I think we could have just ridden the monorail around all day and he would have been happy!

Mike and Katie said...

My sister and I drove through the night to go to my uncle's funeral years ago. The plan was that I was sleep so she could drive and then switch. Except when it was my turn to sleep, at every little corner or lane shift or large truck passing, I would wake up thinking she was driving off the road or something. Ha ha! I'm not a very good traveler. :)