summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Wednesday, April 10, 2013

monkey wrenches....

I don't really know what a "monkey wrench" is. Just that it is something that is thrown into the Plans Of Men, making them go haywire. My sister always says when something goes wrong, "Another monkey wrench in the monkey wrench pile." It makes no sense, but it makes perfect sense.

Well, today, Jonathan is sick. He is pale and dizzy, he was sick to his stomach during the night. He sleeps on the top bunk, and, well, he had no warning, so he just scootched over to the side of the bed, leaned over the railing, and woosh. Yup. On the carpet. Sonja K., who sleeps on the bottom bunk, put her comforters (she was sleeping with two, yay), right on top of the mess. Because they need to be washed, do you not see the reason in that, Mom? The top comforter is in the washer with a few towels, and the other one is still there...on the mess. Um, yes, I am getting to it. Just not my fave thing to do, you know?

Besides, I already had to clean up the presents Suri left for me behind my chair, bad puppy! She went outside right before bed last night, but it was raining, and she may have been in a hurry. So she pooped in a nice little pile, right on our nice living room floor. rrr.

I have swept and mopped and put away laundry this morning. Talked with Jonathan about our trip to Florida (Cindy, I don't know yet when we are going, Paul has to secure the time off from work before I can get serious with plans...but we are thinking of going in just a few weeks).

So I sit here relaxing, knowing I have to leave in just a few hours to go to the Dome for a lacrosse game....when I realized Jon was sick, I had to figure out what to do about going. We have it figured out, but if I had a job right now, I would have had to take a sick day.

And before I go I want to make sure to exercise.

And I have to switch laundry.

And there is that mess in Jon's room.

Sometimes I hate being the mom.

I love the babies and the kids, but not the messes.

And I have to figure out what's for dinner. Mirielle and Aaron will be serving it tonight.

Yeah, my pre-planning and organizational skills astound even me.

So yesterday was Paul's birthday, and I got him nothing. Zero. It always seems weird to me to buy him a gift with the money he earns anyway. Plus, he buys what he needs himself. And, I couldn't think of anything. I went to Kmart, Target, Price Chopper....and nada. No grand ideas, no super nice gifts jumped out at me. But I did have a wonderful time wandering around the stores all by my lonesome, no one to tell me to hurry up. I bought a Kmart skirt for $5.99, and two pairs of shoes for the older girls...%50 percent off the clearance price, then buy one get one half off. $3 a pair, which is about what they are worth in the first place.

At Target I found bathing suits for Suzanne and Sonja for our trip. I also bought some %70 percent off Easter candy. I put it in the closet, as if the kids don't know to look there. The Dove white chocolate bunny is designated for some almond flour cookies with coconut and craisins, that Mirielle and I like.

Unless I let my guard down and get the bunny the bunny..... right Martha?

Well...off I go....






















4 comments:

Martha said...

Right! :)

A bunny sounds rather yummy right now...

Monkey wrenches. I like to toss them out the back door if possible, along with the dog poo.

Valerie said...

We have been passing around the stomach bug for the last two weeks. Sometimes it all hits us at the same time, sometimes long and drawn out. That's what this is. Not fun.
I don't usually get anything for my husband, either. He gets whatever he wants, whenever; it is hard to 'surprise' him with anything, too.
My son is turning 10 and having a Nerf Battle for his birthday party. I would have him invite your son that just got a gun, but is he the sick one? Plus there is the small detail of distance. Otherwise you would be welcome.:)
Thanks for writing about normal stuff. I love it!

Anonymous said...

I feel the same with the gift for my husband ;) It's better you had the courage to not buy anything instead of just spending for the sake of it, to show up with something.
Yuk, don't envy you with that mess!

Joni said...

I totally understand the husband-gift thing. I have concluded exactly as you have - he gets himself what he needs, and he's not into pretending to get all excited about something he doesn't want or need, just because it's his birthday. My hubby bought a new 4-wheeler a couple months ago, and I told him 'whew! you got yourself just the gift you wanted ... takes care of birthday and Father's Day this year!' :) We always make a nummy cake for special occasions, and he and I both feel like that's enough. Sometimes come up with some idea for a gift (a book I know he will buy eventually, but hasn't bought yet, or he got a sewing machine for me once, with the same logic ... I needed one, but hadn't gone to buy one yet.) For the kids' sake we have the cake, some pop, chips and candy ... and then it's been a party and everyone's happy! :)