summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Monday, February 16, 2015

how to get warm...



It was cold here last night, so this morning I bundled up and went outside to take a few pictures, shovel a little, romp around with the dogs...and experience the winter. It had warmed up to -3 F, (-19C), it was much colder during the night. We got more snow yesterday, so everything is sparkling clean out there...and sound is muffled...it's like being in a huge padded recording studio. But it is very very cold. I took off a mitten to take pictures, and my hand was aching when I got back in the house.

Anyway, this is how you get warm: you go outside for half an hour. When you get back in your previously freezing house, you feel all warm!

The snow is deep in the yard.



So a while back, I ranted about winter. I complained about the snow, the wind, the ice, slipping on the snow and ice in the wind. And those things are still true, but guess what? I don't hate it as much as I thought I did.

They say there is good in everything. The coziness of the family gathering in the living room...last evening I made cocoa and tea, and popcorn, for Downton Abbey.



So later, when the kids start grumbling about how cold it is in here, I will try to get them to go outside for a few minutes...ha.

4 comments:

Martha said...

It's so much easier to embrace winter in all its beauty than to complain about it. (I know because I complained for a while.) It really doesn't last forever and there are some folks in this world who have never, ever been blessed with the gift of snow.

Martha said...

You have proven your genius once again! We used to have a book called "It's Too Noisy" The man in the book thought his wife and children made too much noise and so he was told to bring in the dogs, the cats, the chickens, the goat, the cow, the horse... It was still too noisy. Then he was told to put all the animals outside and guess what? It was quiet with just his wife and children.
:0)
I should go out and warm up for a while...

Marilyn said...

Another way to get warm is to go to Arizona!!! That's where we are at be moment :-) Where we live is in full winter mode too. The other night my daughter said there was an ice storm.......they went to the kids basketball game and when they came out to go home the truck was a block of ice :-( :-( !!!!!! I can't say I'm missing that too much..........

Marilyn from Canada

16 blessings'mom said...

Martha, we had a book called, "The Cow in the House", in which the same thing happened...the wife was fussing and complaining that her kitchen was too small, her house was too small, so the Grandpa Wiseman told the husband to bring a chicken into the house...then the pig, ect...when all the animals were finally back out, voila! The house was huge! It's all in our perspective, isn't it?

Arizona, now that sounds lovely....