summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Monday, September 7, 2015

and just like that, goodbye summer!


Camille took a selfie today when we were out and about. Charlotte Claire came along too, to the dollar store...for fruit snacks and granola bars, cheese popcorn, and a few boxes of cereal...then to the grocery store for dog chow, paper towels, toilet paper, avocados, bananas, broccoli, chicken, butter, milk, and stuff for lunches. Because...tomorrow is the first day of school.

Wah.

But, summer weather is here for a few more days. I do feel bad for kids who have long bus rides tomorrow, and hot classrooms, I really do. Today the weather was so absolutely glorious...the sun shone, the breeze blew...the pool water sparkled. It was so refreshing, yet the sun blazed on my face...I have been going underwater the past few days of swimming, because I still feel too hot getting in up to my neck. I know our days of using that pool are numbered for the season, and I am trying to go in as much as possible, and enjoy it with the kids. We hope to get in tomorrow afternoon after our outings....

We are going to the library. We are getting books out to do projects, and to read in bed at night, and then we are going...out for ice cream. And guess what? I am going to have one! I am embarrassed to say that I am quite excited about it. But I promised myself that if I behaved all summer, I would have an ice cream at the end. The last one I had was on July 10th, my fiftieth birthday, and it shouldn't even count because it was a sundae from McDonalds...but hey, it was good. So tomorrow...to celebrate a new year of homeschooling, we are getting ice cream. The place in town has...soft-serve pumpkin ice cream. mmmmm.

Today...I walked, I swam, I ate well. Good healthy food, and not overly much of it. I made a chopped tomato topping for the chicken that I grilled...tomatoes from the garden, a green pepper from the garden, sweet onion, fresh garlic, olive oil, and fresh basil...all chopped up and mixed together. I also made potatoes (I had half a sweet potato), and lots of fresh steamed broccoli. The chicken had been marinating in the 'fridge for two days in vinegar, olive oil, and seasonings...boneless breasts and thighs...and yeah, I grilled in my bathing suit...then took another swim after dinner.

Mali was here with baby Lydia, and a few of Joseph's friends were here. Emily and Mirielle stopped over for a bit too.

This evening, the kids watch a Star Wars movie, but I know how to tune those things out. I don't hate them, but don't love them either. I did talk to Samuel for a bit on the phone. He is doing well, and is perhaps getting a promotion soon. He has a burial in Arlington this week, and a retirement ceremony, as well as something coming up at the Pentagon. It's exciting for a young guy, and I am proud of Sam.

I have to get up bright and early tomorrow if I am going to fit in my walk, and be here when the Real School kids get on the bus. I slept until 8:18 this morning, so I am out of practice.



No comments: