summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Saturday, September 26, 2015

in other news....


That is my son! No, not the president of the United States, and no, not the president of China...but that handsome soldier standing there directly behind them, facing the camera...that's Sam! He has had a busy week...he saw the Pope the other day.

We are having a busy week too. Yesterday when Ashley and Anya took a nap, we decorated for a surprise birthday party for the two of them, as both their birthdays are next month, when we are all the way back east again...



Anya didn't quite know what to make of it at first...



But the party horns and balloons were delightful.

We also explored the town...




We found a river....which I do have pictures of, but it takes so long to load the photos, and Benjamin is awake, the kids are eating cereal, and I smell coffee...I hate missing out on life.

For the surprise party, Paul and I snuck into town with the kids...into the bakery...the coffee shop that roasts it's own beans daily....and bought Ashley a pound of coffee, and some fresh baked cookies...and of course I had to sample the brewed coffee...yum. We also went to the dinky little grocery store and bought a "heater cake", which is what my kids call the frozen Pepperidge Farms cakes...chocolate. And a pumpkin muffin from the bakery.

I had brought gifts from home, and the plates and candles and decorations from Walmart on the way here to the wilderness. The kids enjoyed surprising them, and decorating, putting the crepe paper streamers up...

Anyhoo. How can I describe how nice it is up here? The air smells crisp, it is Autumn for sure. The trees are still mostly green, but there are leaves to crunch in, and there are reds and oranges dotting the green-ness. The trees...they're huge! They are huge and fat and tower into the sky. We saw elk, wandering around the town. Just out for a walk behind the grocery store.

We have soaked in the hot tub under the stars (and yesterday before breakfast), played cards, made good meals...and talked.

Today we are going adventuring again. Maybe Mt. St. Helens, which is to the south of us, or maybe back up Mt. Rainier. Or to the river, so they can catch some salmon. I don't care much. I just like being with Ben and Ashley, and Anya is like a ray of sunshine. She just enjoys life, and is so sweet.

Ah well...enough for now.










3 comments:

Susan said...

Oh my-Sam is so handsome!
I love your travelogue, thank you for taking time to share your adventures.

16 blessings'mom said...

Aw, thank you! We are so proud of Sam...he's come such a long way from the little boy who couldn't choose a Matchbox car, which would trigger a breakdown...ha, Mom's always see their kids as just bigger kids, don't they?

FLmom7 said...

You must be very proud of him. :)