summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Monday, October 19, 2015

learning new things....

I am just plain thankful this morning, thankful that God hasn't given up on me. It's a new day, a new week, and I have decided to be thankful for life.

Here are some news snippets, random as per usual:

1. I baked chocolate chip cookies yesterday, and usually pack them in an airtight container as they cool, leaving some on a plate for them to eat...well, they were left out last night, and...some bad dog ate all but three cookies. She must have been just too full for those last three. She knew she was bad, because when I held up the empty parchment paper and put it near her, her eyes were HUGE. I told her NO. She followed me around with her stuffed dog until I forgave her and played with her.

2. Slowly but surely, I am learning to bite my tongue, think before I speak (is what I have to say helpful, is it nice, is it self-righteous and arrogant?)

3. Homeschooling: it's a life of constant adjustments. What works for one child doesn't work for another. And as usual, patience is the first ingredient for the solution of every difficulty.

4. My mother-in-law is back in Florida, and we are planning a trip to visit her this winter. The kids are beyond excited about this, and keep bugging me to get on with the planning. I am going to miss stopping in to see her, as her summer home is only ten minutes from here.

5. Mirielle was here yesterday. I love when the older kids come to visit. She brought clothes from her closet for the girls to borrow, and also helped Evelyn order some new boots. I am not sick of hearing about the Israel trip yet, either.

6. We had other company yesterday too...my sister-in-law and her two youngest came over, two of her teens were already here having an overnight with my girls. Another friend was here too. We had pork chops for dinner...with baked apples/pears-from-the-front-yard-tree, baked with cinnamon and too much sugar.

7. We are going to the pool today. It gets harder to get our exercise when the cold weather sets in...Jon said it was 29 degrees when he got up this morning. (-1.6c)

8. Warmer weather is returning this week, here in central New York state we get all sorts of fluctuations in weather. The leaves are amazing this year, the colors so vivid it almost hurts the eyes. The next phase of autumn is almost creepy...the leaves crisping up and blowing away, leaving the trees bare...desolate...dismal forebodings...the long shadows, the wind... And just knowing that winter is coming...with the icy roads and white-out driving conditions...

9. Pumpkin spice coffee! I love it! I also have pumpkin spice syrup (thank you Cheryl, and also I love the pumpkin candle! We lit it the other night when we were chilled to the bone after the soccer tournament)...

10. There is a pumpkin cheesecake in the refrigerator too. No crust, simply some butter with a little bit of coconut flour. There is very little sweetener in it, just about a third cup of honey for the whole thing, and a few packets of stevia.

11. It's chilly in here, my coffee got cold.

12. Paul is in France. I will be in Washington D.C. when he gets home this weekend, so Emily is picking him up from the airport.

13. Visiting Samuel this weekend: I. Can't. Wait. Charlotte Claire and Camille are coming too...

14. Ah well...kids are up, school must begin!

15. And...weight-loss: I have decided to have a positive attitude about this no matter what. The scale has been kind to me lately, then, not so kind. But I am not going to let a few ounces, or ugh, a few pounds get me down. I am 50 years old, and feel better than I have since high school. My sugar cravings are basically under control, and I have enough energy, ha, usually. I am working on moving more, fitting in those push-ups and stretches, getting to the pool, taking the walks...I have lost 17-18 pounds in five months. That is rather pathetic, but. I am not giving up. My body is smart, and I have to outsmart it. It likes all the chubby-jiggles. It wants to keep the muffin top and the thunder thighs. Since I started this journey four years ago, I have lost 67 pounds, as of right now. That's the official number, although I had already lost 11 pounds before I started, and honestly, I am a hundred down from my highest weight, but I was pregnant with Camille then, and a lot of it was water weight. I have at least 50 pounds to go. 60 would be divine. Anyhow. It's a constant learning process for me, and it's a good fight. I don't want diabetes, I want to be able to walk...my knees are bad, and I am thinking replacement knees when I lose a bit more weight...the thought of walking without them aching, of going up steps without pain...ahh.

4 comments:

Martha said...

I wish you lived just a half hour closer.

16 blessings'mom said...

Well one of these days I'll just have to come visit again. It's a beautiful drive.

Martha said...

Yes, or we can meet in the m iddle. where ever that is.
:0)

Unknown said...

16 pounds is still good!!