summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Friday, October 16, 2015

where does the time go?

Is it just me, or do other parents look at pictures of their kids when they were little, and cry? I cry because the time flew by, I cry because I hope I was as good to them as I possibly could have been, I cry because I didn't realize how fast it would all zip by.

Did I appreciate their soft little faces...the ones that now have their own wrinkles of time? Did I listen to their stories, appreciate their coloring projects?

I know I herded them through showers, one after another. I washed their faces and brushed their teeth and got out the rows of clothes for the day, hurrying here and there and hopefully...not forgetting to appreciate the moments. I listened to their nightly prayers, often tapping my feet in impatience as I had a baby waiting for me, or maybe I was just hoping to get them all in bed so I could have five minutes of peace and quiet.

If I could do it all over again, I would care less about the house and the mess. I wish I could go back in time and hug those innocent little children in those pictures. Because they grow up, and Mom isn't so cool anymore, and hugs are more awkward.

Why the sentimentality today? I don't know. I have four young children here who are waiting to go to the library, and life is good. Yesterday we went to the pool...tomorrow is a church soccer tournament, Sonja and Jonathan are playing. Tonight there is a Dome basketball event, but I am not working, I am watching the twins and their big brother William (I miss them)...tomorrow Paul leaves for France for a week...then next weekend, I am going to Washington D.C. with Mirielle to visit Samuel!

Anyhow, these kids are ready to leave, waiting for me...

5 comments:

Marilyn said...

I am the same Della........where does the time go? My oldest daughter will be 50 next year..........un believable. Her oldest child..my first grandchild will be 21 in February. My grandchildren are all big now and so busy I don't see them very often. I go to their sporting events to see them. I miss the days when I would go to visit and they all came running with their arms out to jump into my arms saying "Nana is here!!" Oh well.....it is what it is. I know they love me, just show it in a different way now. So.....it happens to all of us who are parents. Treasure the moments. Your little Lydia is just gorgeous. Such a pretty little baby, isn't she? I love little babies :-)

Marilyn from Canada

Anonymous said...

I also look at baby pictures and cry. Where did the time go?
Blessings from Orlando

Cheryl said...

When I'm wondering what heaven will be like, I imagine that if we'd like to, we'll be able to go back and observe the past, maybe.. But by then it won't really matter!! I think it's a common feeling as we age, but time does go by way too fast!!

Anonymous said...

So good to hear as a reminder! Thank you!
Lara from NZ

Cheryl said...

What?? Re Marilyn's comment.. Grandchildren grow up as well???!!! Now that is truly not fair and unnecessary!!