summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Thursday, May 30, 2019

navigating headaches and small children....

When you have a headache, everything in the whole world seems difficult. I had such a pounder yesterday afternoon, that I couldn't manage to start dinner while refereeing, I mean watching, the two small children here. I took ibuprofen, and was conscious to be thankful for its existence. When Anne went home, I had nary a half hour before I had to leave to bring Jonathan and Camille to Activity Club, so oops, sorry kids, no dinner. Cam made a bagel, Jon warmed up some leftovers, and I microwaved some frozen yummy lemon blueberry Keto almond flour pound cake, and brought it with me. (Paul ended up making burgers...sorry hon!).

I visited with Ben and Ashley while the kids were at A.C., which is always nice. My headache was on the back burner by then, but flared up wickedly on the drive home...one more teensy little ibuprofen, and I woke up this fine morning feeling much better. Lydia is still asleep, and Anne will be here in a few minutes. I put a load of clothes in the washer and straightened a few things up this morning, but shh, I haven't swept or washed up those pesky dishes. I'll do it later, ha. I'm enjoying the quiet of the day before the kids all get up and it gets roaring in here again.

What I WANT to do today is start painting that foyer, but I know better than that. I can't watch children AND paint, and I don't think their parents want them to help me, ha. So I'll wait, the last minute scramble is real.

Jonathan told me last night, "Do NOT stress about the graduation party mom. Just don't." Words of wisdom. Those words are prob rooted in that he doesn't want to hear me fret, but they are truly encouraging nonetheless. Suzanne Eleanor is our twelfth child. She is the fourth girl in our five-girls-in-a-row-in-five-years. But she is an original, she's a snarky sweetheart. She'll smile right at you and give it to you straight. She has the biggest heart, she loves the kids and gives them the time of day. She has taught herself to crochet, and has done the most beautiful hats, baby blankets, a tiny sweater for Kathryn's baby....she made me mittens for Christmas! She watches you-tube videos and learns new patterns.

Anyway, she is graduating, and we are very proud of her. She has taken hard classes and has done well. I am glad to be throwing a party for her, but...oh, but. There IS pressure to clean things up, there isn't much time to do it, and then what if the food doesn't turn out well, or there isn't enough, or or or. Ha, there will never be a lack of things to fret about, but my hope is that in all these temptations, I can stand firm and not let myself get all worried and carried away.

We are thinking to do pulled pork nachos, and maybe grill chicken and some good hot dogs. Watermelon, chips, pasta salad, maybe Mirielle will make some of her Mac and cheese, it's delectable.

Anyway, life is short, and trials come...my entire hope is that I get something of eternal value out of those trials, instead of just skating through life in a constant state of anxiety. God does NOT make mistakes.

So tomorrow, Grandparents Day, then ice cream sundaes here with Anya! I am so super thankful I get to be a part of her life, that she has moved back here from Washington state. She is a sweetheart!!!

4 comments:

Carol said...

As moms, we always have something to fret about, but we must turn it to God as He can handle it and we can't. I need to paint as well, but I plan to camp this weekend as that will be a better choice!

AnAmericanHousewife said...



**** GOODY'S HEADACHE POWDER **** the cool orange packets that dissolve on your tongue. LIFE CHANGER!!!!!

Marilyn from Canada said...

Hi Della! You are one busy lady as I just sit here drinking my coffee and writing on your blog 😊 I’m sure Suzanne’s graduation party will be just lovely. The food you have planned will be yummy and you can prepare it beforehand and not panic too much. I do the very same thing...I procrastinate forever then fly around like a flea in a fit the day of. I always say “I’m never doing that again”..........but I do. I’m having my ladies group here for a Pot Luck at the end of June and I will go into a tail spin the day before! Your entry way is going to look lovely 😊 It will be like a new place...........We have shocking forrest fires in two different places up north and the smoke has blown as far as here and it’s like the apocalypse outside..............sort of brown/greenish. The air quality is very bad, so no doggie walks today. There are 2 areas affected and towns evacuated. The smell is putrid I have to say.........😬 You have a great day!

Marilyn from Canada

Kanadiangirl said...

Hi Della, your headaches might come from the following three things. Food allergy. Neck or back misalignment. Magnesium deficiency. Headaches/migraines suck.