summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Tuesday, May 14, 2019

soggy, wet, damp, chilly, drizzly, rainy, dark,.....cozy!

Cozy, it's the saving grace, right? In the Scandinavian countries, they use the word koselig, for so many things...because hey, if you can't have balmy sunshine, you have to make it nice, and cozy isn't bad.

For me, here in central New York state, there are two seasons: boots, and Birkenstocks. So now my feet are cold and wet when I go out and about. I did buy some rain boots, but they hurt my Princess-and-the-Pea feet.

Yesterday, I took Miss Sonja K. to the orthopedic doctor, again, because after two knee surgeries, her knee still swells up and hurts her. She was an active soccer player before that knee dislocated two summers ago, now it gives her trouble just walking. We saw a different doctor this time, and he seems to know his stuff. He said: She needs surgery, right away. Her knee is unstable, and has been partially dislocating continuously. He showed us the x-rays, and yeah, the knee-cap on the left leg is right on the side instead of the center of the knee. The ligament that should hold it into place is probably gone, and a piece of the knee cap is missing. So. An MRI will show more exactly, but the doctor says we will probably need to get a ligament from either her other leg, or from a cadaver (I was like WHAT???!!!)...and fix 'er up.

We walked out of there pretty shocked, thought they would say to just go do more physical therapy.


Never a dull moment.

And don't even get me started about my own knees. The "good" one is the one I dislocated back when I was a teenager. The bad one is bad, it sticks and clicks and hurts, but sometimes the "good" one hurts too. I have bad arthritis in them, and one of these days I need a replacement...it makes financial sense to do it in the same year as Sonja's surgery, our deductible is sky high, but if we're going to meet it anyway...but. I've read about replacement, and it's not for the faint of heart. A short hospital stay, then 2-4 weeks in a recovery home, then physical therapy. Who takes care of the kids and the dogs and the house during all this, I wanna know? And ouch-wah-wah, I was cringing out loud when the doctor was manipulating Sonja's knee, I can't stand it, anyone bending my knee this way and that. Ugh. And then there's the antibiotic issue, I had a bad reaction to Cipro...

So I won't think about all of that right now. I have to call and see if I can get her into the MRI sooner than Saturday, so we can see the dr. sooner, and get things set up. I have a feeling dr. needs a new inground pool this year, he's in a wicked hurry. But we also told him our travel dates, Sonja is joining us to Norway, then going on to Germany for a few weeks, and dr. says it's best to get this done before all that traveling.


(last night at bedtime, Miss Silly was saying, "Look at my pink braids, Grandma!"

Lydia is still here, Paul is working from home (so I try to look busy, ha), and I am thinking to go out to lunch for my Aunt's birthday, with my brother Bob and sister Cheryl. It's super nice to go out and about with siblings once in a while, and I haven't seen my father's sister in a long while. He was one of twelve, and there are only three of them still living. My aunt is a really nice lady, and she has so many good stories from her own childhood years, they grew up very poor...

It's time to get going with school now, and the clothes from the washer need to go in the dryer after I take the ones out of the dryer....

4 comments:

Carol said...

I know someone that had knee replacement surgery on both knees and he says it is the best thing he ever done! I hope they can fix your daughter's knee as well.

Kara said...

My Mom had both of her hips replaced last summer. She spent just two days in the hospital before she was allowed to go home. She was able to prove that someone would be in the house at all times to help her get around. My Dad had to help her in the bathroom for a few weeks, but the recovery went really well, and she's only sorry that she didn't do it sooner. Both of my parents are 65/66 and retired, so yeah, they're home all day long (when necessary). I think you'll find that two weeks in a rehab facility is an older recommendation, and you'll likely be home in 2-3 days, with rehab at your home and at an outpatient facility (unless you live really far away from any outpatient facilities).

Marilyn from Canada said...

Hi Della! I am so sorry about Sonja’s knee! That’s a real bummer for sure. She is much too young to be having such problems, isn’t she? Hopefully she gets all fixed up sooner than later. Lydia is just so cute....my girls used to do that too 😍 The clouds have come over here and it’s supposed to rain tomorrow, but we could use some rain. BTW Sonja has the most beautiful hair!! All your girls seem to. Lucky!! Have a super day

Marilyn from Canada

Marilyn from Canada said...

PS.........My husband has had both his knees done. His were also arthritic....bone on bone and extremely painful. The first one at 69 and the other at 70. He also said he wished he had done it sooner and would do it all again because of the difference it made to his life. He will be 80 this year and goes to the gym 3 times a week and we walk with our dogs all the time. Better sooner than later he always says. I hope Sonja hears soon. Poor dear........she’s so young to be having such a time with her knee. 💖

Marilyn from Canada